02 - on a balcony in summer air (now)

2004

"I still can't believe I let you convince me to come here, Daph," Astoria says loudly as she follows her sister down the long pathway.

"It's my birthday; of course you were easy to persuade for once," the older girl replies as she swings her arm to wrap around her sister's shoulders. "Besides, I don't see why you were so adamant about not coming."

Astoria sighs, "I just don't feel particularly welcome at events like this. Everyone's always staring."

"Well that's because you're so beautiful, Tori," Daphne brushes the pieces of hair that have fallen over Astoria's eyes back behind her ear.

Astoria laughs and says, "you know that's not true. You have always been the pretty sister."

"Then Mother and Father are lucky they have two pretty daughters," Daphne says as she tries to pick up their pace.

Astoria responds quietly, "I don't think they feel the same."

She leans down to pet the large white cat that lounges on the cobblestone, making sure to allow it to smell her fingertips first. It lets out a small whine before putting its head into the palm of her hand. Letting out a big sigh, Astoria stands back up and allows her sister to take her hand as they walk up to the front door.

"It'll be fine," Daphne reassured. "They won't say or do anything since you're here with me. Plus, Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy will probably stay upstairs the entire time."

One of the Malfoys' only two house elves opens the door as she sees the sisters approaching. She takes off Daphne's corduroy jacket for her, but Astoria hands her own trench coat over to the elf, smiling as she hangs them up for the sisters. Astoria mouths a thank you to her as they walk through the grand foyer and into the dining room.

Daphne has been to Malfoy Manor much more than Astoria has, so the younger sister still turns her head up to look at the large chandelier that hangs above. She trails closely behind her sister, who walks as confidently as ever.

Astoria always admired the way her sister took up space, whether she knew it would be granted to her or not. If Daphne didn't fit in, she would make herself belong, and she was always accepted. Astoria, on the other hand, backed down even before she had the chance to get hurt. She knew the places she was welcomed in, and she didn't question the ones where she wasn't. One of those places was Malfoy Manor, much like her own parents' estate. As much as it was the people who didn't agree with her, it was also the sole atmosphere of their houses, which could never feel like homes to her. The cold walls sought to freeze out her beating heart that was filled with kindness and empathy. Even the long pathways that led up to the properties were intentional, seeking to find isolation from the company of others. Everything about this place was what Astoria sought to run from. The small whispers of delicate memories she kept hidden inside were barely enough to give her hope.

A tall woman who seems to be coming from the washroom steps into the hallway. "Daphne, we're so glad you could make it! What a bore this lunch would be without a birthday girl!" Pansy Parkinson beams as she greets the elder sister with a tight hug.

Daphne smiles back as she says, "You know I would never miss out on an opportunity to see you, Pans." She steps aside and places a hand lightly on Astoria's elbow. "You remember my sister Astoria, don't you?"

"Of course! It's lovely to see you again, Astoria," Pansy smiles curtly before shaking Astoria's hand.

"The pleasure is all mine," Astoria says, nodding at her before the two girls walk in through the doorway with the raven-haired woman.