Chapter 1

Word count: 1,976 Characters count: 9,783

Y/N POV

    I wake up to someone picking me up. Their arms wrap tightly around my body. I look up and see Newt is the one holding me. I smile at him. The sky is dark and I hear gunshots go off around us. I look to the side and see weird figures running towards us and screaming. Newt runs faster towards the building. I hear other people screaming behind us. We stop inside the building and Thomas comes running in and the people close the door.
    I look up to Newt "you can put me down now." He lets me stand up on my own and I look around at the area we stand in.
    Some guy takes us to a room. When he opens the door we see food covering the table. All of us run towards the food we all sit down and start diving in.

After eating

    We all are sitting around the room tired from eating. The door opens and a familiar man stands there. "You kids doing all right?" We all stand up and walk to him. "Sorry about all the fuss. We had ourselves a bit of a swarm." he tells us.
    Thomas speaks up "Who are you?"
    "I'm the reason you're all still alive. It's my intention to keep you that way. Now, come with me. We'll get you kids squared away." he walks out of the room and we follow.
    I run up to Thomas and whisper "am I the only one that doesn't trust him?"
    "Give it time Y/N maybe he is telling the truth."
    I slow my step and whisper under my breath "or he is lying."
    The man speaks up again "You can call me Mr. Janson. I run this place. For us it is a sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside world. You all should think of it as a way station. Kind of a home between homes. Watch yourselves." he warns as sparks come off one of the pipes a worker is fixing.
    Thomas runs closer to him and asks "that means you're taking us home?"
    Janson corrects himself "A home of sorts. Sadly, there wouldn't be much left of wherever you came from. But we do have a place for you. A refuge, outside the Scorch, where WICKED will never find you again." He looks back at us "How does that sound?"
    "Why are you helping us?" Minho asks.
    "Let's just say the world out there is in a rather precarious situation. We're all hanging on by a very thin thread. The fact that you kids can survive the Flare virus makes you the best chance of humanity's continued survival. Unfortunately, it also makes you a target, as no doubt by now you've noticed." he stops in front of a door and looks at us. "Beyond this door lies the beginning of your new lives. First things first let's do something about that smell."
    We walk to the showers and I go into one of the stulls and I start to get undressed. I pull my pants off and my shirt. I stop and look at my shirt and it's dried with blood. I throw it to the ground angry. I feel arms around my waist.
    "What's wrong, love?" I turn and look at Newt. he pulls me into a hug.
    I look up at him "So many lost."
    "They want you to be happy, love." I kiss him on the cheek and he smiles. "You want to take it together?" He looks at the shower.
    "Ew gross!" I hear Minho yell.
    I laugh "Well stop listening, Minho!" I yell at him. I look back at Newt "sure."
    I finish getting undressed and I jump in the shower. I rub the blood off my skin, I feel hands on my back and I jump. "It's almost gone. The sting I mean" he tells me. I turn and look at him. I smile as he pushes my hair out of my face and pulls me into a kiss. "Is that scar on your back from when you saved me?"
    "Yep. the only scar I still have. All the other ones go away."
    "OK! We get it you love each other! Just take a shower!" Fry yells.
    I laugh and wash my hair and body. Newt does the same. He looks at me well and I dry myself. "You're so beautiful."
    I turn and smile "Thanks Newtie. You don't look too bad yourself." I kiss him on the cheek. I grab the clothes that the place left us, and put it on. I look down at the outfit I put on. It's a black tank top with black leggings and a dark blue hoodie and heeled black boots. I look down at my old clothes and I know this place is going to throw them out. So I grab Newt's sweater and satchel and put it in my bag. I don't grab anything of mine as they are covered in blood. I turn and look at Newt and he is all dressed. We walk out and the boys stand there looking at us. We walk to an area that has a doctor and sitting areas. They sit me beside Newt and doctors walk over to us.
    The guy with Newt pulls a needle out and Newt asks. "Uh, wait, what is that?"
    "Just a little cocktail. Calcium, folate, vitamins A through Z. Pretty much everything you've been deprived of out there. Try to relax" he tells Newt. he injects him with the liquid.
    The same doctor grabs another needle and he walks over to me but the liquid is different then the one Newt got. "What's that?" I ask
    "The cure for the sting," he tells me.
    "How do you know about that?"
    "We saw when we picked you up and your boyfriend was carrying you. Relax." he injects me with it and he walks away.
    A lady walks up to me and smiles "Are you Y/N?" she asks.
    "Ya."
    "Ok please come with me."
    I stand up and I look at Newt "I'll be back."
    The lady walks me over to a closed door. We walk towards it and I see that Teresa also has a female doctor. We get in the room and I lay on the bed.
    "Can you please lift up your shirt?" I follow her instructions and she smiles "Incredible." She walks over to a table and grabs a needle and viles. "I'm just going to take some blood."