Dreaming

"Mom?" Fear quivering through my voice. God, how did it come to this? How did I let this happen? How COULD I have let this happen? "Oh fuck... mom? Mom?"

The light in the alleyway flickered above me, illuminating the narrow passage. A cold wetness hung in the air, seeping into my bones. I shook as a gust of cold wild blew onto my skin and whipped up my hair, slicing my cheeks.

"Y/n?" A soft whisper broke the pregnant silence of the night.

The fluorescent bulb fluttered its last breath, flickering against a woman's frame. Her skin was pale and frost bitten, small puffs of breath escaped her cracked lips. She looked up at me and mustered up a smile and outstretched a hand toward me, gesturing me to come closer.

I should've done better. To protect her. I should've been by her side, all of this, is my fault. Oh god...

My brain throbbed inside my skull and my eyes stung as I neared her. My mother, the poor woman who gave me life. Raised me singlehandedly. Held me while I cried and shook through the worst night of my life. Sewed my heart together. Now here she was, in a cold alleyway — life slowly seeping out her soul.

Tears brimmed at my eyes and I knelt down beside her and took her hand in mine. I remembered all the times that she had held my hand, it was always so warm and not like now... cold and limp. A quiet sob escaped my lips as I brought her hand up to my face and rested myself on the heels of my feet.

"I did I let this happened to you?" I croaked and bit down on my tongue.

My pants had become damp from the frozen puddle beneath me, cold creeping into my knees and down my shins.

Sadness — true sadness— and grief is like a wet cold. It seeps into your bones and sucks the life from you.

"It's not your fault y/n."  She whispered hoarsely before letting out a cough. Although I didn't meet her gaze, I could feel her smiling down on me. She brought her cold hand to stroke my hair.

But it was. I had known we were in danger. For so long. I knew it was my job to keep my mom safe, one slip up, was all it took.

And suddenly at the edge of my senses, I noticed a presence.

Forge in footsteps slowly clicked down the alleyway.

"Well we'll well what do we have here..." a mans deep voice chuckled.

"Y/n..." a muffled voice sounded from somewhere in my room.

I slowly turned in my bed, the world materializing before my fingertips and rendering into my senses. I slowly brought my hand up to my face, feeling my skin before tossing over again.

"Y/n..." the voice grew louder. I opened my eyes, squinting, adjusting to the light.

"Hey! Hey!" I felt a pair of large hands grip my shoulders and shake me awake. "Y/n! We're going be late!"

I immediately sat upright, slamming Gojos nose with my forehead.

"Jeez you have a hard noggin!" He said pinching his nose.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" I cried and massaged my forehead. "Wait how did you get in my room you creep?"

"Luck?" He chuckled and looked up at me.

I stared blankly at him. "Thanks I guess. Can you get out so I can change though?" I mumbled and threw my legs over the side of the bed.

"Yeah I'll be on my way. See you in ten." He stood and shut the door behind him.