SEVENTEEN

"We danced the night away, we drank too much"

M I L E S

"Hey, kid," one of the men at the poker table nodded towards me, "exactly how old are you? Shouldn't you be in bed right now?"

The rest of the men howled with laughter. They thought I didn't catch the glint of jealously in their eyes as they peered at the piling amount of poker money in front of me.

"And exactly how old are you, sir? I hear nursing homes have curfews now." I shot back, arranging my poker chips.

The older man looked affronted, but the same men who laughed at me before now slammed their hands on the table, laughing wildly at him.

"So, he talks," the dealer announced in regards to me, placing the last poker card on the table—the determining factor of who would win the nine—hundred dollar pot.

I didn't answer as I examined the cards in my hands and the cards on the table. I expertly hid my excitement when I realized the match.

I had a full house. When I placed down my cards to reveal it to the table, they roared with disappointment. The dealer chuckled.

"Nobody can beat that?," I mused, slouching in my seat.

They scoffed and threw their cards frustratedly on the table. "Whatever, boy. You better go home," one of them grumbled.

Gladly. When the dealer handed me the nine-hundred dollars, I bolted out of the rutty club, grinning despite the fact that a deranged gang member was still hunting me.

When I arrived home, it was two in the morning, which always indicated that my sister was asleep. However, tonight was different because she was sat at the kitchen table, absentmindedly nursing a glass of water.

I slowly closed the door. "Maddie?"

She didn't look up when she said, "What's this deal you and mom have? How come I'm always left out of the loop? I know I'm...occupied most times but, it seems like lately we don't even see each other anymore."

I gulped and set the money-filled envelope in my pocket before sitting in front of my sister. "Maddie, that's not true. We see each other all the time. You drove me to school yesterday," I pointed out.

She shot me a look of irritation. "That's not what I mean. What I mean is why the hell you get home so late every night. Surely Liam doesn't need that much tutoring."

My heart twinged for her.

"Miles, I know that mom doesn't talk to me very much anymore, but I'm just...," she took in a shaky breath, "I'm worried about you, because you're my little brother and—"

"Maddie, please don't cry," I said quietly.

She wiped a tear that slid down her cheek. "Tell me what she has you up to. Now."

I looked at her for a moment, but shook my head. "You'd freak out."

"Is it illegal?"

I huffed, "Very."

"Are you in a gang?," she gasped.