THIRTY-FIVE

"Tell him that I love him."

M I L E S

"Yes, Maddie, a championship game," I said, rifling through my drawers to find my Beavers jersey.

She leaned against my doorframe with a bowl of yogurt in her hands. From the mirror, I could see her reflection. A look of puzzlement.

"I thought you hated Liam," she said before taking a spoonful of yogurt in her mouth. "He gave you multiple bruises—."

I stopped my rummaging and looked at her through the mirror. "I never said we were best friends, I said that if he's inviting me to a Minor league game, I'm going to go. Maddie, this is serious. It's game 7."

My sister gave me a long look, but smiled softly. "It's nice to hear you talk about baseball again."

"It's not a big deal," I modified, putting my jersey on over a black long sleeve.

She now sat on my bed, watching as I adjusted my clothing. "Miles, this isn't some lame excuse to go gamble, is it? You can be honest with me."

I paused my action in the mirror, and turned to her slowly. "You think I would use Liam Coleman as an excuse to gamble?"

She shrugged. "It just seems so sudden, that's all. Mom will want to know."

I sat beside her on my mattress and began lacing up my shoes. "If you must know, I still gamble a little. Just to make sure we have some spare cash. I don't think that'll ever stop. I don't need to make up excuses to do what I've always done, and certainly not to mom."

Maddie stirred her yogurt, thoughtfully. "You're right, little brother. I just want you to be okay."

I shrugged off her concern, no matter how sincere it was. I felt irritated at her suddenly.

"I'm okay," I assured her, tucking my wallet into my back pocket. "Tell mom I'll be home late."

"Of course," Maddie said, standing up. "Call me if you need anything."

Due to my mother's newfound guilt, she gifted me a brand new phone. She looked much too eager to give it to me, I couldn't deny her. Now, it was tucked away in my pocket.

I casted a glare towards her.

"What?," she gawked. "I'm not allowed to be worried?"

"I'm not a little boy, I can take care of myself," I stated.

Maddie rolled her eyes, but put both her hands on my cheeks. "Fine, I'll stop smothering you. Go have fun, enjoy the night."

Some of my irritation eased as I pried her hands from my face. "I plan to."

                                  •••••••••••••••••••

                                      L I A M

The dark-haired boy looked at the parking lot in awe, eyes twinkling with excitement. I thought he might burst into tears. As I stationed my car in a parking spot, I noticed that he still appeared to be dazed. The sun was starting to weaken, the reds of the sky were now dimming, making way for the dark. 

"It's the parking lot," I said, holding in laughter. "We're not actually inside yet."

"I'm aware, Coleman," he said, surveying the array of parked vehicles. "I just still can't seem to believe you."