Employment Issues

Auburn's PoV:

I'm Auburn... which basically means 'red'. I like my name, since red is my favourite colour after all.

Anyway, enough about that. More importantly is providing for my nine year old daughter, Scarlet, the light of my life. Which is what led me here. To ASAN.

I'd been out of a job for ages, and despite my friend helping me out a lot... one heck of a lot... it was a struggle. I'd tried hiding it from Scarlet for a while, but she's just so observant. She realised that there was a problem.

So how did I find ASAN? Let me set the scene; I'd finally gotten a part time job in Tesco whilst my daughter is at school. The manager is horrible and my pay isn't really enough to sustain us... but it's better than nothing. Today I've been told to restock the shelves. Currently expensive bottles of alcohol... and trust me when I say I'm not the least accident prone of all people.

This random lady accidentally bashed into the stepladder I was stood on, causing me to fall off and consequently drop the glass bottles everywhere; they smashed all over the floor. I'm pretty sure I cursed under my breath at that point, as the other person was frantically apologising. My shoulder hurt pretty bad and I was cut in several places from the glass, however that was the least of my worries, as at that point I noticed the manager angrily storming up to me.

"Miss Smith." He snapped, "this is only your third day; yet your 7th huge muck-up."

"I'm sorry, sir, I-" I protested, but he ignored me and continued.

"You've proven yourself to be an incompetent waste of space. You're fired! Get out of my store now!"

The other lady spoke up, declaring "it was my fault, sir, I'm so sorry. Please don't fire the nice lady, she didn't do anything wrong."

The manager glared between us for a second, a conflicted. What's the store policy again? 'The customer is always right'? That's what he told me last time.....
"Smith, you're excused for this accident." He pauses as the lady walked away. After she was out of earshot, he hissed "But you're fired anyway."

"Well... you can't fire me, because I resign!" I yelled a little too loudly, heads were turning in our direction but at that point in time, I didn't care.

"No" the stupid manager argued in a patronising tone, "I fired you first, and you can't resign from a job you don't have."

Tears filled my eyes as I raced out of the store, turning round the corner to the narrow alley where nobody went. I sat down there with my head in my hands for a while. Why can't I keep an easy job? I can't keep relying on Jack...

"Hey" someone said, and I squeaked in surprise. "I'm really sorry... you didn't deserve any of that" she continued. It was the same woman from earlier.

"I-It's okay... I'd have gotten fired for something else anyway. Th-that's how it a-always goes" I mumbled. "Can't keep a stupid part-time job for more than a few days..."

She sat down next to me, a small smile spreading across her face. "Looking for work?"

"You know a place that's hiring?" I asked extremely hopefully, "b-but I'm not too skilled really..."

"Do I know a place that's hiring? I am hiring!!" She beamed, "And for your second point, that's no problem at all." And with that she slipped a business card into my hand. It had a name, phone number and email on one side, and on the other was a logo with bold letters spelling out 'ASAN'.

"What's ASAN?"

"Well..." she continued, "it's kinda like the opposite of NASA. The letters stand for National Anti Space Association. We aim to prevent space travel, to protect the universe from human interference, but also to protect us from potential dangers out in space."

Well... I didn't personally have a problem with Space, but I honestly didn't care about this right now... I need a job, it doesn't matter what. "I'll take it!" I exclaimed, so excited that I hugged her. "THANK YOU! ......... oh, shoot, I gotta go pick up my daughter!"

The lady chuckled lightly as I scrambled to my feet and raced to my car. "Ring me then we can discuss the details later then" she called after me, I waved a little before hopping into my car, practically screaming with delight.

Then again... don't get your hopes up, Auburn.

You may not keep this job for long-