Fear of the Thrill

Peach's PoV:

"So... why are you here this time?" The tired-looking woman in front of me groaned in frustration.

"Punched Connor in the face, principal Cathy" I casually replied, swinging my legs as I fidgeted around in my seat - the stupid chair that seemed to have one leg smaller than the others, so it wobbled a lot whenever you moved even a tiny bit. Did they do that on purpose to make the office even more uncomfortable? Was that even possible?

"And... may I ask why?"

My eyes narrowed as I replied "he said I couldn't join the football team 'cause I'm a girl"

"Does that give you the right to punch him?"

"Yes."

"No, Peach. I think you'll find that it does not give you permission to attack another student." Stupid Ms Cathy insisted.

"He's always such a bully to everyone else though. You're just sticking up for him because he's Mr Herd's son. You love Mr Herd because you're a divorced old bag suffering from a midlife crisis." I grumbled, swinging back and forwards in my chair as my gaze drifted to the clock above her head. Nearly time. She gasped, her mouth wide open in shock.

"You trying to catch flies?" I innocently asked, "because believe me, they'll be attracted to your breath. I think you need a mint."
She was about to tell me off, but the bell rang. Perfect timing, as usual.

"Well it was nice talking to you, but I've got to go now" I cheerily said, "See you on Monday!"
And with that I leapt off the wobbly plastic chair, slipping out of the door and practically flying down the hallway before the principal could get another word out.

This is why I hate school.

Ya stand up to bullies? It's still your fault. I was always the one who gets into trouble for it, even though the principal knows that Connor was the one to blame.  And sure, I don't care too much about being in trouble as long as it's nothing severe, but when it's so unfair? That's a whole different thing.

After grabbing my rucksack, I raced outside to where the parents usually picked us up, and like every other day, my father was standing there already.

That's another thing that Connor tries to make fun of me about... because I only have one parent. Sure, I don't know anything about my mother... that doesn't make a difference. At least I have a father who loves me more than anything in the world.
But what that stupid incompetent bully says doesn't affect me... I mean, it gets me into trouble, but I'm not hurt. I'm not giving him what he wants. Never have, never will.

Back to my point, my father was there, but with this huge, goofy grin on his face. He looked as if he could explode right now...

"GUESS WHO FINALLY GOT AN EXCITING JOB?!" He asked in a voice really squeaky from excitement.

"Ooh yeah?! What is it, what are you gonna do?" I eagerly asked, excited too but more than anything, I was really happy for him.
Yeah, I'd only been eight at the time... but for me, that was more than old enough to realise the importance of putting the happiness of others before my own.

"Not just me" he smiled even wider, which shouldn't have been humanly possible. What...? "You're quitting school now - we're going to be astronauts together!"

"REALLY?!" I yelled, waaay too loud but I didn't care. "That's awesome! Thank you thank you thank you! I can really just... quit?"

"Yup! Only special super cool space school for you now"

"Awesome!"

Aiden's PoV:

After we drove home and ordered a huge pizza for delivery, my excitement subsided slightly, as another feeling began to rapidly set in.

Doubt? Fear? Anxiety... regret? Nervousness?

Whatever it was, it hit me like a ton of bricks and I had to sit down for a moment to process what was happening.

Was... was this the right thing to do?

Ugh, stop panicking, Aiden! This is what you want... what you've always wanted-

Is it though? Because why else would you have backed out of it all those other times?

I didn't-

Okay, so the skydiving, climbing Mount Everest, hang-gliding, scuba diving, all those kinda things... you're saying you never backed out of those?

Okay, fine. Maybe I did, but... this time it's different.

How do you know that?

...

You don't know, do you?

It's a leap of faith, Aiden. You just have to believe in yourself.

Leap of faith, huh? And guess who backed out of doing that, too?

Just shut up...

"Dad!! The pizza is here!" My daughter declared as she sprung onto the sofa, jolting me out of my negative thoughts.

"Oh... yeah, sure Peach. Thanks"

I can do this. I have to. If not for me, then for her. I've got to make sure she gets the opportunities, the experiences that I never had when I was her age. I want the best for her, she deserves it. She has a gift... her unshakable courage... and I want her to make the most of it.

I'm doing this.

We're going into space.

Only one small problem... I just re-read the email I got from NASA, and at the bottom, it says:

Thank you for your application, we look forward to seeing you at the interview, where the best 10 candidates will be selected.

Interview? 10?

Holy macaroni - that's not a lot!

Well I have to do this. I have to get into this job, we have to. Nothing can stop me now; I've gotten this far.

It's gonna be fine.