Whatever It Takes

"So you're still fucking her?" Rage ran through Layla's veins. She couldn't believe this was happening... again. "It's just a fucking text Layla. Why are you always so damn insecure?!" He shouted. "Because you made me this way" she hit his shoulder. Tears started to well up in her eyes. She felt a lump forming in her throat. Her heart felt like it was breaking. "She's just a friend Layla. Kia is married, to Chris remember? I wish you would trust me" he told her. "Trust has to be earned Darnell... I think we need couples counseling" she insisted. "Are you fucking serious?" She nodded "if you want this to work then yes. I want to stay married but not this way" she told him. "Fine.." he mumbled. "Fine what?" A tear fell down her cheek "fine I'll go to couples counseling with you" he told her. She nodded before wiping the tear. "Until then, I believe we need our space."

Darnell's POV

They warned me not to get married

They warned me not to get married. I didn't listen. Layla is way too insecure. She's always thinking I'm cheating. Especially if it involves Kia. Kia is married. Happily married to Chris. Me and Chris had our beef in high school at Crenshaw but we cool now. I'm not about to leave my marriage for another man's wife. What kind of shit is that? She needs to learn to trust me otherwise our future is pretty slim.

"Layla, where you going?" He stood up off the couch where he was playing Madden. "I'm leaving. I told you, I need my space from you right now" he sighed. "It doesn't have to be this way. If I was cheating on you or creepin' why would I leave my phone unlocked?" She shrugged. "Because you think I'm stupid. Call me when you're ready to be my husband" she opened the door and walked out.

Spelivia knew they couldn't avoid their family for too long. They had to face them about their engagement. "The fact that we find out like everyone else upsets me" Laura said with Spelivia sitting on the couch next to each other while Laura and Grace stood in front of them. D'Angelo and Billy were seated at the island table in the Baker's home listening. "Moms, we didn't think it was going to blow up. Someone told the news to the media. How is that our fault?" Grace folded her arms as she looked at her son in disbelief. "How is it your faults? You should've told us right away. How would you feel if we had important news and the news found out about it first or you found out the same time the world did?" Olivia sighed and looked over at him knowing their parents were disappointed in them. "It wouldn't happen because you're not famous" both women in front of him raised their eyebrows. "Well excuse the hell out of me for not being Spencer James" she said sarcastically. "You're not too grown to get that ass best" Grace threatened her son. "Mrs. James.. we wanted this to be special. We wanted to tell our family and friends together. The media was too selfish and the person who released the news to the media were selfish. I get that you wanted us to tell you right away but we were just taking it all in. Spencer and I love each other so much and we just wanted to plan things out. A little get together so that we could tell all of you. Want to be mad at someone then be mad at the person who released the news to the media, not us. You know we wouldn't keep something like this from you purposely" Olivia told Grace. "It's not the point Olivia—" Olivia cut her mother off "what's the point then mom? We are grown. We are obligated to get engaged. You're upset because you found out like the rest of the world when that wasn't our intention" she said. "Olivia and Spencer are right" all eyes were now on D'Angelo. "They are grown. They aren't obligated to tell anybody about their engagement. They don't owe us anything" he told them. "So you're on their side? Okay..." Grace was offended. "It's not about picking sides. It's about being happy for Olivia and Spencer. The news is out. We can't change it. All we can do is be happy for them" he said. "I agree" Billy said with Laura looking at him in disbelief. "I'm happy for you both" Olivia gave her dad a half smile before giving him a nod.