He Just Wanted a Bath

It was one of the rare occasions Henry left his home-other than to teach of course. He figured he may as well go down to the grocery store to buy some necessities before things started to kick off. He didn't know when things would, eventually, kick off. All Wilbur would tell him was 'soon'. Something about running it by the 'big man' first.

He was mulling over what he should have for dinner when he felt a tap on his shoulder. "Yes-oh! Xander? What are you still doing in Hatchetfield?"

"Can't a friend wish to visit every once in a while without an interrogation?"

"When it's you? No." He pushes his cart aside, leaning against it for support. The pain was especially bad today, but Henry was damned if he started carrying a cane around. "Is it work related?"

"In a way." That was all that could be said on the matter, in public at least. "But I also wanted to see how you and Gary were doing."

"Gary?"

"Yes, Gary!" He laughed, "It's been a few months, hasn't it? Are you two still seeing each other?"

Oh. Oh no. Henry flushed red. Suddenly recalling all the texts he had sent Xander regarding 'Gary'. Who had really been Wilbur. "I, ah-" why did he pile on all those lies? Where the hell was that apple stealing bastard when he needed him?

"I don't think I've seen you this flustered since your initiation." Xander laughed, "Aw, that's so cute~"

Henry grumbled at the memory, "For the record, I knew that wasn't actually Mothman." He'd rather forget that whole entire thing, thank you.

"Is that-oh look! There he is now!"

"... Mothman?"

"No-Gary! Let's go say 'hi'-" and after that Henry didn't hear a single damn thing. He was too busy trying to come up with any excuse to get the hell out of dodge. If Gary denied ever seeing Henry he'd be done for.

"Oh-no! No uh-he looks like he's busy!" Henry laughs it off, starting to turn his cart around in the opposite direction before Gary could spot either of them.

"You're just being shy-Gary!" Xander waved the man over. Why did he have to wave him over? Why was Gary actually c o m i n g over? Nooooo-

Henry put on a polite smile, hands gripping his cart with so much force his knuckles turned white. "Gary! Hello!"

"Hello..." He replied, looking every bit confused. "Is something the matter? What did you need?" Henry had a feeling he'd be reaching for his business card any second now. Always eager for business.

"Everything's great! Good-fine! Just uh-I just wanted to introduce you to Xander! Xander! This is-"

"Henry, are you feeling alright?" No, no he was not feeling alright, Xander. U g h.

What the hell could he say in this situation-

Gary spoke up, "Henry you've already introduced us, don't you remember?"

Like a lighthouse in a raging storm-Henry could cry. Wait-no, that was impossible. The last time he ever had a chat with Gary was at that damn 'benefit' the Monroe's threw.

Henry narrowed his eyes. And suddenly the items in Gary's basket came into focus. Bright, vivid green apples. When his gaze met with 'Gary's own he caught the hint of a smirk.

"Oh! That's right!" Henry laughed, so relieved. Of course Wilbur wanted to see him sweat-that damn bastard. "How forgetful of me." He steps up to 'Gary', fixing his scarf. He doesn't miss how he tenses up at the brief contact alone.