back home together

Waving goodbye to Tommy, who was wiping his eyes a little (refusing to admit that he was crying though), you stepped into the train, feeling a little sad, which you didn't expect at all. This whole trip was a lot more fun than you had expected.

Wilbur, noticing the bittersweet smile on your face, gave you a quick pat on the shoulder, offering you a reassuring look. "Looks like you enjoyed this trip."

"I did." You sat down at your seat, settling into it with a sigh. "It was nice."

"And to think you were nervous about it," he said, laughing. Sitting down next to you, he brought out his keys, shaking the keyring on it with a smile.

Bringing out your one as well, you stroked the fur on it, thumb rubbing against the detailing. "I was nervous cause you didn't give me any warning, Wilbur. But yeah, I enjoyed it a lot, and your friends were really nice! Even though Tommy dropped the ketchup when we all went for lunch-that was kinda embarrassing."

You looked up, expecting Wilbur to just be listening to you like normal, but he seemed to be in a complete daze, face resting against his hand as he leant in, not even registering that you'd stopped talking.

"Wilbur?"

"Oh, sorry-uh, yeah ketchup..."

Shaking your head, you brought out your earphones, pausing before holding one out to him. He took it happily, and you started to play your music, not even hesitating before leaning on him, humming softly under your breath.

The journey home was peaceful, just you and Wilbur in your own world.