thirteen

Adrian

A gun cocking behind me. 

Everything in me tensed as my eyes stay on Tate through the back window. 

She is completely oblivious too to what I just heard as she twirled a strand on her hair between her fingers. 

With one last look, I turned around to face the person behind me.

"Jesus, Atlas" I yell, my body relaxing. 

He just glares at me and fiddles with the gun.

"Are you trying to get killed? Or better yet Tate killed?" He seethes, I scoff and look at her still having no clue what's going on. 

"I promised her I would take out of the house. And this is easily the safest place she could be" I respond. once again he shakes his head.

"When should I book her plane ticket? If I'm assuming you have talked to her about it"

"We did in fact talk about it, and she won't go. It's not like we can force her, I finally got her to trust me and I can't and won't risk that" He sighs and looks through the window where Tate is now on my phone playing a game. 

"She feels secure there with you?" He asks, I nod and keep my eyes on her hair. 

"Ever since we got her, she has hated me and fought me on every single thing. But finally she trusts me and will at least somewhat listen. I know in terms of her safety it's best if she goes to Sydney with Devon, but she wouldn't listen to a thing he says nor will she ever trust any of us again. I'll start working from home more to make sure Tate is ok and safe, but she isn't going anywhere" I state. 

We both stay quiet and watch her through the window. She looks relaxed, calm. Something I haven't seen from her unless she was asleep. Taking her here was the best idea I have ever had. The smile on her face through the afternoon, her carefree attitude I have never seen. 

Even when she let me touch her and be close. 

I don't know everything that went on during her adolescence, but enough to know how big it is that she is letting me get close to her. 

"Tomorrow, me and the guys will come over to discuss further security measures for the apartment. Have a nice night" Atlas finally says, "You too, anytime of the day works for me" I respond. He nods and walks to a car on the other side of the road. 

I watch him drive off before getting into the car where Tate is playing some random game on my phone. 

"How did you know the password?" I ask, her lips tug into a smile as she looks up at me. 

"I'm a lot more observant than I let on." She smiles, I shake my head and start driving away from the beach with Tate's head on the console. Her hair is completely draped over my lap like a blanket. My hand finds it way to the slightly damp hair and twirl it between my fingers as we drive closer into the city. 

Finally we make it back into the parking garage of the building and go back up. She yawns and puts her forehead against my arm. On instinct, my arm goes around her fully pulling her into my side. 

"Want do you want for dinner?" I ask, "Oh I ordered a pizza on our way back. It'll be here in 30 minutes. I'm gonna go shower" She respond before pulling away from me. 

"Also you have sand on your ass!" She calls out before disappearing behind her door. 

***

Later that night Tate's head is on my lap as we watch some random TV show she had put as my mind drifts back to Atlas and I's conversation earlier.