Act III

지수

i patiently wait outside of the school gates for my little niece. there was still a few minutes left before they get dismissed, so i scrolled through my emails on my phone, constantly looking at jeonghan's email without actually opening it.

i sigh, succumbing to the stress that this email has brought upon me. i'm not ready just yet. how can i? i need to take care of a lot of things before rebuilding this relationship that i once had with him before.

the class bell rings and i immediately stand up from the bench, my hands in my pockets as i wait for my little niece to appear.

"uncle joshua!" she shouts, waving at me as she spots me in the crowd of parents and older siblings outside the gate. i wave back to her.

she runs to me and i immediately carry her in my arms, "you've gotten a bit heavy! did you eat well?"

she nods, "pretty well! where's mama?"

"mama went to work, little one," i boop her nose and continue to walk to my car, "where do you want to go today?"

"hmmm," she puts her small index finger on her chin as she furrows her eyebrows, "let me think."

i unlock the car and gently sit her down on the backseat before putting the seatbelt on her, "so, where does little scarlet want to go?"

she breaks out of her trance and finally snaps her fingers, "pretty café! mango tarts!"

정한

"you like mango tarts, right?" seungcheol asks as he looks at the airline's menu, "i mean they don't have it here, but would you like to get one?"

i stay quiet, pretending that i'm asleep as he continues to ask questions,

is he not tired of this whole situation?

i feel a hand on mine. it was soft and warm, i couldn't fathom the emotions that rush through my veins. anger, disappointment, happiness, security.

it's undeniable that seungcheol is important to me. that he is my source of serotonin and my shield nowadays.

though, this needs to stop. i'm leading him on and it just doesn't feel right.

"mango tarts sound good," i finally reply, my left hand staying still as his holds it, "do you know a place?"

"yeah, i do. do you want to go with me?" he asks.

i nod, "sure, why not?"