eighteen

AMELIA
**
***
*****

I sighed as I played with my pen. With my work being finished and calls coming in only every hour or six, the only thing I could wait for was Lucian to finally walk out of that elevator and give me some sort of entertainment.

I looked at the pictures I had in my camera roll for the thousandth time, smiling at the recently added photos of me and Lucian. Last night I only slept for about two hours before I woke up craving burgers; being an amazing person, I woke Lucian to keep me company the way there and back and he decided to be a shit disturber as I ate my burgers and... now I have over a hundred new photos in my camera.

Right on cue, the phone rang and I picked it up, putting my cellphone down as I answered it.

"Is Lucian D'Angelo in?" An unfamiliar voice asked, making me raise an eyebrow.

"No, he's at a meeting right now," I responded, grabbing a pen and note pad. "May I leave a message instead?"

"Just let him know that Katie's in town and if Italian's okay," she told me, making my eye twitch slightly as I didn't even bother writing it down.

"Alright, thank you," I shortly said and hung up, grabbing my phone. I opened my messages up and went straight to Lucian's name.

I really didn't want to be this person but I couldn't help it when random women were asking me to tell Lucian if Italian was okay.

Okay, I'm insecure. Sue me.

A:
Who's Katie?

I put my phone away and felt my leg beginning to bounce from the anxiety. I tried distracting myself by looking through files that I've already been through, running a hand through my hair. I couldn't help but snatch my phone from its place on my desk when I heard it go off.

L:
The only Katie I know is a manager from another branch in the state, why?

I bit my lip as my brain tried to convince me that Katie was some skank that was trying to hook up with Lucian.

I hate overthinking so fucking much.

A:
She just wants to know if you want Italian 2nite since she's in the city

I didn't even get a chance to put the phone down before it started ringing. I answered the call and pressed the phone to my ear.

"What's wrong?" He asked, making the tiniest of smiles grow on my lips. Then it vanished when I realized that my stupid brain had beat me... again.

"Nothing," I mumbled back. I began to play with my shirt, swearing to myself. "I'm just overthinking about—"

"We didn't hook up, Mel," he assured me, making my cheeks immediately flame with shame. "She's wanted to but I've turned her and her stupid dinners down every time. Did you think I planned to go out with her tonight to do that or something?"

Can the ground please eat me alive? There's only so much humiliation I can take. "I'm sorry—"

"We'll talk about this tonight," he cut off. "I need to finish my meeting."