Chapter 30- Alpha Anger

--Allison--

Within the past week, seven more people had died. All had been perfectly healthy, then all of a sudden they seemed sick. 

We were werewolves, we didn't get sick. 

What was worse was that we had no idea what this was. It seemed to sneak up quickly on the people. They all had the same symptoms as that man the first day everything started to happen. Alarik had been working with the doctor to figure out what was wrong, but we only had one doctor. When werewolves didn't get sick, we only really needed one doctor for injuries that were beyond our typical healing. 

He wasn't well versed in the field of disease. He had never needed to know that information. Now he and Alarik blamed themselves for what was going on. 

The doctor has been saying he should know what it is, that it's his job. Alarik has been on his 'I'm the Alpha. I should be able to take care of my people.'

Alarik had put me under house arrest. He didn't want me going out there around the people until we knew what was going on. I'd tried to point out that it was pointless to keep me in here. I was already around people that had gotten sick... and died. If it was something that was air born I think I would have gotten it by now. 

He still wanted to play it safe, so here I was stuck in the house. 

Alarik was in his office, the same place he's been for the past week. When he isn't in the doctor's office, he's in his own office. 

I walked down the hall, stopping for a moment outside the door to his office. I grabbed the handle and pulled the door open slightly. 

Alarik looked up at the noise. "Hey," he said. 

"Hey." I stepped into the office and sat down in one of the chairs opposite his side of the desk. "Have you found anything?"

Alarik sighed and sat back in his chair pinching the bridge of his nose. 

"Nothing so far. We can't find anything. There's no reason for this to be happening. We have noticed a trend so far though."

"And what's that?"

"All the first people to go... to die, they were all people who came up to me the night that we joined the packs."

"So what does that mean?" I asked. 

"I'm not entirely sure, but it seems odd. There was that man, the woman who owned the boutique, and the others, they all came up to me that night."

"How do you even remember that? There were so many people."

"I don't know. I just remember."

He sat back up and started looking through the piles of papers that had come from him and the doctor. They had started looking through everything, every disease that had similar symptoms. They hadn't been able to find anything that consistently worked through as fast as this was going through people. 

The phone rang and Alarik picked it up. 

"Yes," was all he said. 

I could hear the muffled voice on the other end. I decided between listening in on the conversation or just letting him have it to himself. 

Before I could even make up my mind though he was hanging up the phone and growling angrily. His fists gripped the edge of the desk, his knuckles turning white before he finally just went completely still. His arms went limp at his sides and he slumped over in defeat. 

I quickly got up and went around to him, standing behind his chair with my hands on his shoulders. 

"I should have known I couldn't do this. I'm not strong enough to do this."