Chapter 9- Not Now

--Alarik--

"That is completely ridiculous. You can't stand for this. This is not the time to be bringing it up!" I heard my mother shouting from somewhere in the house. 

As I walked closer I heard another familiar voice but I wasn't sure where it came from. I could only faintly hear the words, whoever it was clearly wasn't as worked up as my mother. 

"I understand this is a hard time. We're just trying to do what's best for everyone here."

"How in the hell is coming in here and demanding what you are in any way best for everyone?" My mother was getting even more worked up now. I knew whenever I got her to this level it was time to settle down because if I pushed her further I knew I wouldn't like what I saw. 

"Debra, now calm down. This is something we will have to consider at some point if things stay as they are. You know it's a possibility." My father this time. Apparently he had the same thought as me. 

I was standing on our front porch now, too nervous to actually walk in, just standing out here listening to the turmoil going on inside the house, matching what was going on inside me. 

"I'm just saying that we consider moving forward with the possibility." That same calm and slightly familiar voice. 

I decided to step in before my mother had the chance to get worked up again. I knew anything that voice was going to propose to, would not be in the good graces of my mother. 

I heard her quick footsteps coming toward me and peek her head through the doorway. She was trying to push a smile on her face, but it was too forced. 

"Alarik dear, I need to ask you a question."

"Mom, all I really want to do right now is just go to my room and be alone."

"I know you do, but this is very important. I need you to think carefully, and I need your answer to be even more careful." Her voice was just barely above a whisper and I didn't dare speak louder than her. 

I didn't like the sound of this. I just wanted to walk past her and go up to my room, but her warnings had me frozen in place. 

"Have you been in contact with Allison?"

My heart started to pound a little faster. What was this about? Were they wanting to know if I could have her tell me where she was at through the bond? Was she asking because she wanted to know how she was? 

"I-"

"Think carefully."

"I have been once."

My mom seemed to relax slightly. 

"It was only for a split second and it was nearly a week ago."

She tensed again. "What did you get from her?"

"Pain, lots of pain. And blood. Then it went dark."

My mom cursed under her breath and I knew this wasn't good. She didn't make a habit out of casual swearing and any time she did, I was nervous for what was to come. 

"Is that him Debra? Because if it is, he's going to want to be in here for this." My father yelling out.

"I know, I'm bringing him in."

She turned back to me, and I couldn't quite tell what I was seeing in her eyes, but it wasn't anything good. Was it worry? "You're going to have to tell the truth if they ask. You already know this. You won't be able to pull off a lie. Just try to lead them away from any questions that may prove valuable in their favor."