Interview

"Hey! It's Ellie, isn't it?"

"Ellen," I stuttered, flushing already. It was just after midday and I'd emerged with my lab group into the heart of the campus. The group was just breaking up, and I'd turned to head for my interview in the Union building and walked straight into Callum. I could swear he'd appeared literally out of nowhere. Tall, blond and smooth-skinned, he gave me a perfect smile and my insides unexpectedly turned to bubble wrap.

"How's it going?" he asked, as though our last meeting in the library hadn't been awkward as hell. It felt like such a long time ago now, before all the Christopher drama. Of course, he was probably just completely cool with it, because he was way, way, way out of my league and must have to deal with awkward girl moments all the time.

"Um, fine. Yeah, really good. Just been doing my first lab session, this is my lab group..." I gestured, but they were waving and heading off already, only Ed and Ayesha still hanging around exchanging phone numbers to set up our lab group chat. I trailed off, reminding myself not to ramble. Callum had better things to do with his time than listening to a gawky first year student.

"Labs? That sounds cool. Hey, did you get a chance to read that book I leant you?" he said. My insides twisted and little bubbles began to pop excitedly. He not only remembered (well, almost) my name this time, he remembered he'd leant me a book and cared whether I'd read it? That was good. That had to be good, right?

"I started it but I didn't get very far yet," I said, trying for an endearing smile. I didn't need to tell him that I'd barely made the first paragraph. "Actually, I've been focusing on finishing the books for this month's book group, I didn't want to fall behind."

"Oh, you're coming? Awesome! Hey, are you busy now?" Callum asked.

Was I busy now, I wondered? And was he asking me, you know, in that kind of a way?

I couldn't help my mind instantly rushing to Christopher. What an amazing comeback it would be, to come up with an intelligent and perfectly gorgeous second year boyfriend mere days after his rejection. Even Tara couldn't do better than Callum, I was fairly sure.

I was this close to sacking off the interview to find out where a question like 'are you busy now?' could possibly lead.

But I was raised a pragmatist. I definitely needed a job, and I definitely didn't need to make any more of a fool of myself around guys this week.

"Actually, I kind of have a job interview in there," I nodded towards the Union building. I hadn't been worried at all about the interview, but I felt a flood of nerves now. The interview was starting in ten minutes.

"You do? Oh, well, another time then," Callum said, and he looked like he might really mean it.

Before I could respond again, Ed nudged me in the side.

"Are you planning on coming out with the flat tonight? Because if you are I was thinking we could ask the guys from labs over for pre-drinks," he said. "Hey, Callum."

From Callum's vague frown, I had a feeling he had no memory of meeting Ed at the Freshers Fair.

"We're going out tonight?" I asked.

"Do you even check the group chat?" Ed replied, with exaggerated exasperation. I looked down, glancing uncomfortably between Callum's shoes and Ed's shoes.

"Ed, I've been kind of busy," I said, with half a glance at Callum and I hoped, a tone of voice that told Ed to get out of the way. "I have an interview in like, five minutes, remember?"

"Whatever, I was only asking. I'll see you later then, yeah? Good luck with the interview."

"Thanks," I muttered, and pointedly turned back to Callum, who was flicking through his satchel.

"Sorry for the interruption, it's my flatmate," I mumbled, wondering if he had any interest in continuing our conversation.

"Oh, not to worry. Hey, you don't want to be late for your interview. Good luck! I'll see you at book group next week, right?"

And with a final charming smile and a wave, Callum turned and strode off across the campus. I took a deep breath, tried to unwind my insides, and turned into the Union building.

Honestly, heading into the interview felt like a relief compared to the few minutes before.

By this stage, it's taken me so long and so many chapters to get to this point that I have to wonder if any of you actually remember Callum? He's the President of Book Club and they met at Freshers Fair, when he slipped Ellen his number inside a second hand copy of Mansfield Park. Cute, right?

Anyway, how's it going for you all? Even though I've been a little slower on the updates this month, I love getting your comments on these characters and situations and as always, I do appreciate a little vote every now and then. I've had less time to proofread these recent chapters, so please point out any spelling and grammar errors/general bad writing you might spot as well.

Take care all <3