Home alone

summary : Peter is left home alone while his parents go out for the evening, the same evening robbers decide to break into the Avengers Tower.

info : Peter is pre-spider bite in this and is twelve years old. Tony and Pepper adopted Peter when he was four from an orphanage where he was left by his parents. also angst and then fluff.

word count : 2,500+

anyways, here we go...

The thing is Tony always double checks to make sure the tower is locked up, guarded and safe.

Especially when Peter is home alone.

So it's a little ironic that the one night he forgets to call security to let them know they're working a later is the one night that some fools decide to break into the Tower.

It's not that Peter is a baby or anything, he's twelve years old and can handle taking care of himself for a night -- which is not an uncommon occurrence. Not when you're Tony and Pepper Starks son at least.

But he wasn't expecting this, none of them were.

3:30 PM.

"Will you be home late?"

"Probably back around seven thirty."

"You sure?"

"We won't be long, ragazzino." Tony ruffles Peter's hair as he looks down at his phone. "Do you want us to pick up any food for you on the way home? Some pizza or A&W or McDonald's or something?"

"Well, I could just make something for myself. It's fine if you don't wanna stop." Peter scratches the back of his neck as he speaks. "To like-- get me food, you know?"

"I offered for a reason, you know?" Tony asks in a sarcastic voice, rolling his eyes as he quickly shoves his phone in his dress jackets pocket. "What do you want?"

Peter shrugs as Pepper walks into the room, wearing a nice, long, black dress for the event that's going on tonight. She smiles when she sees her son and gives Peter's cheek a kiss.

"If you had to guess what Pete wants for dinner tonight what would you say?" Tony's eyes light up as he looks at his wife. "You look beautiful."

"Um, I would say that our son would like some A&W. And what he wants is probably a Root Beer, the Teen Burger -- without tomatoes -- and some onion rings. And thank you, Tones, so do you."

"Is that what you want, bud?" Tony asks after giving Pepper a quick kiss.

"If you don't mind." Peter smiles a small smile.

Tony rolls his eyes again, taking Peppers hand in his own and giving it a squeeze. "We'll see you later, kiddo."

"Love you!" He calls to them as the elevator closes.

He smiles, excited to have some time alone to finish up on some summer projects while watching TV.

How was he supposed to know something bad was going to happen?

___________

6:26 PM.

Peter writes down things in his notebook, only pausing sometimes to look up at the TV show that plays on the television in the living room. The show is one of his favourites -- New Girl. Though right now he can't focus too hard on it or else he won't stop watching and will eventually give up on doing his English work. Which, honestly, doesn't sound too bad right about now.