Chapter 8

Ron, Hermione, and Harry were on their way to breakfast when the Head Girl, Heather Murphy, approached them. She was smiling in a friendly sort of way. "Hey, Hermione," she greeted brightly, before turning her brown eyes on Harry. "You're Harry Potter, aren't you?"

Everyone knew who he was, but he still shrugged and said, "Yes."

"Headmaster Dumbledore sent me to find you. He wants you to have breakfast with him in his office this morning."

Harry frowned. "Why?"

"That's strange," Hermione said with a frown. "Is Harry in trouble?"

"I don't think so," Heather said, shrugging. "Otherwise he wouldn't be invited for breakfast."

"He probably heard about this deal with Malfoy," Ron said wisely. "All the times he's tried to kill you and all."

Harry rolled his eyes but didn't reply, saying instead, "Right, I suppose I'd better go see what he wants." He felt a little nervous, or maybe, in retrospect, he should have felt nervous and didn't. He'd never be quite sure.

He'd been to Dumbledore's office enough times to know the way, but he let Heather lead him. She left him in the hall and went in herself to tell Dumbledore that he was there. Frowning when she came out, she said in a rather perplexed tone, "That's odd, I didn't know Dumbledore had a dog..." she looked startled when she saw Harry there. "Sorry, Harry. You can go up. Hope you're not afraid of dogs, there's a massive black one up there." She smiled and hurried off to breakfast. Harry didn't notice.

It had to be Sirius. Harry sped into Dumbledore's office, forgetting to wonder about the strange request to join the headmaster for breakfast, forgetting to worry about Sirius being in danger. Because Sirius was here and Harry hadn't seen him in months.

"Sirius!" he cried, ignoring the headmaster as he fell to his knees and flung his arms around the shaggy dog's neck, burying his face in the thick fur. "I've missed you!"

Dumbledore was laughing gently as Sirius licked Harry's face. "Go on, Sirius, change back. It's quite safe in my office, I assure you."

The dog was gone a moment later and Sirius was there, smiling gently at Harry, who normally would have been alarmed at the strange, solemn look in Sirius's eyes. He didn't notice, however, because Sirius was mussing Harry's hair, and no one had ever really done that before.

"Welcome, Harry, do sit down, we've been waiting," Dumbledore said quietly.

"What are you doing here?" Harry asked Sirius. He was feeling more lighthearted and happy than he had in days.

Sirius' eyes slid away from Harry's. "Dumbledore asked me to be here and I agreed."

Harry frowned, suspicions finally blooming in his mind. "Why does he have to be here, sir?" he asked Dumbledore, finally taking the seat Dumbledore had offered him earlier. Sirius sat beside him.

The headmaster looked more exhausted than Harry had ever seen him. Still, he offered Harry some crumpets and muffins, and a tumbler of pumpkin juice, which Harry politely took, though neither Sirius nor Dumbledore ate anything. Instead, Sirius asked him about his grades and Quidditch and other innocuous things until the food was dutifully swallowed, and then he glanced at Dumbledore uncertainly. Harry followed his gaze.

He swallowed, suddenly nervous. "What is it?"

"Harry," Dumbledore began gently. "There is something I've got to tell you. Something I should have told you years ago but have held off on, waiting until I was sure, waiting until..." he trailed off. It was so out of character for the headmaster to be unable to find the words he needed to express himself, that Harry sat up a little straighter, his face turning even more pale than normal. Dumbledore sighed. "It had been my hope that it would never come to this, that we would never need to have this conversation. But it is my policy to always be honest with my students when I feel they deserve that honesty, and you, Harry... You deserve far more than simple honesty, but honesty is all I've got to give you. I wish it were different."