20: Grudge Match

"Are you doing all right?" Krethzirae asks me softly as I sit next to her near a large bonfire, a short distance away from our female comrades; the tribe that is hosting us objects quite strongly to female warriors, from what I understand, and they have been less than pleasant to us and mandated that we sit apart from everyone else. Even so, everyone from both the tribe and the caravan who is able has gathered in the center of a combined tribe and caravan camp for a feast that the zaikaritim have insisted on putting together, as a celebration of our victory over the Erivim and Visserov force that attacked us earlier today.

"I...am not sure. The nap this afternoon helped, at least. Thank you for asking," I answer in kind.

"I have never seen anyone with such pale skin as some of those fighters had. I overheard something about Visserov.... Do you think it's true, that we fought some of them today?"

"I know it to be true. I interrogated one of them."

"We took prisoners in that fight?"

"I took one. He has since been executed."

"And you are...not happy about that."

"It did not quite go as I'd hoped. And the things I've learned.... I cannot wait to return to Orenxiao."

"You cannot feel bad about the deaths. They attacked us, and we gave them plenty of warnings that we were not to be messed with."

"That does not make it easier to deal with."

"You fought so well at Andelxiao. I didn't see much of you in that battle, but from what I've heard.... What's changed?"

Before I can answer her, one of the zaikaritim commands our attention. He begins to speak very grandly in the dialect of Kedar-Jashun. Alderon rises from his seat to translate.

"Welcome, guests, to Kedar-Jashun. The Molongun tribe welcomes you to its ancestral lands, and thanks you for your valiant efforts against our shared foe this noontide. Because of you, no lives on our side were lost, and not one of our enemies survived. We have much to celebrate," both intone regally, "and much to discuss. Attacks such as the one we thwarted today have become far too common in Kedar-Jashun. Trade caravans come less frequently. Our way of life is in danger, and we appeal to the Yrivvior for aid."

Alderon's eyebrows threaten to fly off his face even as he says the words. Indeed, everyone in our squadron reacts with alarm. Krethzirae and I move closer to Cezarya, as do Thariyae and Mailadui, as Alderon begins protesting in the local language.

"He is pointing out what should be obvious, that we have no clout with the Yrivvior and cannot promise them a chance to make that appeal in person," Cezarya informs us, pausing as the zaikarit responds indignantly to Alderon. "Their dispute is likely to go on for at least a few minutes."

"Have you or your brothers had any...difficulties with the leadership here?" I inquire, dreading the answer. I haven't had a chance to talk with Zelphinon since the interrogation.

"No. They have not recognized us, and last I knew, our mother was indisposed. She was napping when the battle started and was badly shaken by it. A couple of the traders and I have been tending to her, but we thought it best to let her sleep through...this."

"They will recognize her, yes? Whenever she shows her face?"

"Yes, and all of us will be all the worse off for it."

"Did they have to do this now, at the beginning of the feast?" Thariyae complains. "I'm hungry, and I'm sure all of you are, too."

"We're in for a wait to eat," Cezarya remarks, pointedly refusing to acknowledge Thariyae directly. "The men are always served first, and the tribe has no great appreciation for female warriors."