33: The Orenfior

"Ah, Kazmiohn Ruokharismet. Always a pleasure to see you," the Orenfior greets our commanding officer. Santhrobar, Alderon, Mailadui, Zelphinon, and I stand somewhat behind our Kazmiohn; I, at least, am thrilled just to be standing here, to be standing anywhere. I've been recovering from the onzereth poisoning for the past few days, and I'm incredibly thankful to have achieved my goal of making it to this meeting.

"Thank you, Your Excellency, for agreeing to squeeze us into your schedule so quickly," the Kazmiohn replies with uncharacteristic humility.

"Your reasoning was quite compelling. And these must be the representatives of Squadron 317." The Orenfior turns his attention to us. He is quite unlike the Andelfior in every conceivable way: respectable tone and demeanor, sensible clothing choices, an air of seriousness about him. Even the furnishings here in his Hall of Audience are much less lavish than the Andelfior's home, although I'm sure the Orenfior could afford greater splendor if he so chose.

"Yes, Your Excellency. We felt comfortable allowing half of the squadron to attend today."

"Well, are you going to introduce them, or are they to be nameless observers?"

"Of course. Santhrobar and Alderon serve as the squadron's leaders." My comrades step forward and bow as they are named. "And then we have Mailadui, Zelphinon, and Azerai."

We also bow to our city's leader, but I'm glancing around while my head is lowered. Curiously, I don't see the zaikarit or any of the so-called emissaries from Kedar-Jashun anywhere. Supposedly, we are meant to be part of the Orenfior's interview with them.

"I am glad that you all could be present today, and that you were able to come early, before the rest of our guests arrive," the Orenfior tells us. "Your Kazmiohni have filled me in on much of what has gone on with your journey to and from Kedar-Jashun and what has happened since your return, and I wanted to make sure you had an opportunity to get properly settled, without any chances for unnecessary conflict."

Ah. So that explains it, then.

"Will the chairs behind yours do for them?" Kazmiohn Ruokharismet inquires.

"Yes, they've been set up for your particular use. But Kazmiohn, you will stand at my right hand."

"Of course, Your Excellency." We all move to our assigned positions. Zelphinon and Mailadui stay very close to me, one on each side, until we reach the chairs. Evidently neither of them has much confidence in my ability to walk on my own, and given my condition these past few days, I don't blame them. The hallucinations stopped within a day of starting Zelphinon's herbal treatment, and the fever took only slightly longer to disappear, but the muscle weakness is taking its time to wear off.

"Are you all right?" Zelphinon asks me quietly as we sit down.

"Yes. Will you be, when they arrive?" I reply in kind.

"Cold and unmoving as ice."

I have no doubt he will be; I've never known Zelphinon to have any difficulty with self-control. Mostly I'm just tired of people asking about my well-being. I want some sense of normalcy back, foolish though I know that is.

"I believe everything is prepared. Arvishen, please show in my guests," the Orenfior directs one of his assistants. He is far more respectful to his staff than I have ever seen the Andelfior behave, I observe silently. Perhaps this is a city leader worthy of his position.

The assistant, apparently called Arvishen, opens the entry doors to the Hall of Audience and calls down the hallway. Moments later, he steps out of the doorway to allow six hooded figures to enter the room, accompanied by a few of the Orenfior's personal guard, Fiorzhanim.