A choice worth the while

Things are meant to be temporary, but- "Just you two. I have something important I want to talk about" Geno says. He's not angry, or upset, but he looks nervous? It made Lotus a bit nervous as well. Goth blinked at his dad, "like right now?" He asks, Geno stares before nodding. 

   The two make their way into his office, and sit down. Geno takes in a deep breath, before disappearing under his desk, "You two aren't in trouble" he clarifies, a lot of tension drops in the room, "Than umm, what's going on?" Goth asks, Geno reappears with a few papers in hand, and there was a pit in Lotus' stomach at the sight of them. "Ok, listen. I know we all agreed that you'd be staying here temporarily" Geno starts, placing the papers down in front of the two, and the pit grew, he watches as Goth reaches for one, " But I've been thinking for a while now, and I think it would be a good idea to bring you into this family. Officially" oh stars no, Lotus feels like he's going to faint. 

   Goth looks quite the opposite, he looks excited. "I know it's a lot, so I don't expect an answer tonight, but I think it would be a good idea, this way you can spend the last few months of being 17 in peace, you'll have a family, and I can get you better help than what I can legally offer." Lotus felt sick, this was supposed to be temporary, he shouldn't get attached, he shouldn't have gotten attached, oh gods, "Lotus?" Goth asks, hand gently placing itself on his back, "Is this too much?" Yes. Yes it is.

  Geno looks concerned, "I'm sorry, this is quite a lot, don't stress about it kid, I promise you that even if you say no, you'll still be welcome here" but- but "I can't" Lotus mutters, looking up at the older man, "It's- I've already stayed here for too long- I should have left- I'm sorry-" "Lotus. It's ok. Breathe" oh, maybe that's why he was feeling so light headed, he sucks in a breath, "Is it too much? We can leave it for tonight-" "No!" Lotus jumps at his own voice, stumbling back on his words "I- I can't- I've already- I'm too attached already-" "Goth,go wait outside ok?" "If I stay it'll only get worse- I can't- I can't let that happen- because just like everyone else, it's only going to hurt me in the end-" "Ok, ok,I hear ya'- alright? But this, Lotus we wouldn't want to hurt you. In any way."

  "We just want you to have somewhere to go, a place to call home, we want nothing more than for you to be happy." Geno explains softly, like always. Geno was always soft, even when they were in trouble, he was patient and waited for them to try and defend themselves, which Lotus never got because it's not like they could,but Geno always said it was so that everyone knew that they were important. 

   Lotus was important… he struggled to breathe again, Geno guided him to sit down, Lotus didn't remember standing, ever so gently, Geno untangles his fingers from his hair, and let's Lotus take in shuddering breaths, Geno crouches down so he's at level, "Lotus, I won't pretend that this is easy, I know it's hard, it's a big decision and after everything you've been through, I don't blame you for being scared. The people in your life who've given you homes have either wanted something in return, or were just horrible to you. Gods, you deserve to be happy Lotus."

  "You deserve help, you deserve to enjoy the last few months of your childhood, because stars Lotus, you're still a kid." The last part seems to hurt them equally, because Lotus doesn't feel almost 18, he doesn't feel like he's any younger than their household friend. 

 He forgets that he and Rurik are only a few months older than Goth and Palette, that they're both still kids… Geno sighs, "You can think about this as long as it takes, I just want you to have a family, no strings attached." Lotus wants to believe Geno, because he's never lied to any of them so far. 

   He reminds him a lot of his own dad, the few conversations they had together, Lotus feels safe here… so why can't he just make the decision, he looks at the papers, they're signed by Geno and Death, and Lotus is reminded that the entire time, Geno said 'we'. " When I told Dea about it, he was so happy, excited even." Geno chuckles staring at the papers as well, " He was so ready, but I had to remind him that it's going to take me a while just to get you into a system. But his excitement never wavered. I know he isn't home much, but he adores you kids." Geno says with a smile, looking down at Lotus.

   They want him here… "And I'll obviously run things over with Goth again, make sure he's totally on board-" "a-and if he isn't?" Lotus asks, though from Goth's earlier response, he knows it's just anxiety. Geno chuckles, "Ah well, he'll probably have to suck it up" it's jokingly, Geno would probably just convince Goth to let him stay, but Geno doubts he needs that at all. "Listen Lotus, I know this is a lot, it's a big decision, and I don't blame you for being scared, at all. It's scary, especially after everything that's happened- I sound like a broken record- but I want you to be happy. That's the least you deserve" if Lotus wasn't crying, he's definitely now.

    Because he knows Geno is right, he knows that he's technically safe here. That they wouldn't hurt him. Lotus shudders, and nods. Geno gives him space, gives him a minute to gather himself and calm down. " 'm sorry" "That's ok Lotus. It's a lot to handle, so don't feel like you have to apologize, ok?" Lotus nods, he looks back at the papers, maybe, maybe it'll be different this time… Geno and Death seemed to love him… it never felt like a trap, or how it felt like when he lived with Rurik. 

   Where he had to constantly be on eggshells. Here he was happier… he'd like to be happier. "I- I'd like to stay" he mumbles aloud, Geno hums, and stands up, "Let me get Goth back in here, ok? Or do you want a minute to calm down?" Lotus looks up at Geno, before looking down at his hands, "I think I'm ok.." he mutters, Geno nods before retrieving his son. 

   The conversation is steady, Geno asks Goth a few times if he's really sure. That this is a big decision, "I'm sure." Goth says, he doesn't look like he's lying, he's smiling brightly, and he's staring at the papers, Lotus wishes he'd argue just a little, but his hand is already on the pen. 

  The room goes silent, and Lotus stares at the papers, he goes to sign it, and looks up at Geno, who's obviously trying to hide his excitement, poorly, there's a wide smile on his face and his hands are clasped together, and Goth looks equally as excited… were they really that excited to have him? 

  Maybe, maybe Lotus will let himself live in this simple lie for a little while longer. So he signs the papers.