A Reflection of Oneself

// TW dissociation, breakdown, implied Cptsd episode, blood, injuries, talks of relapse

  It was quiet in the Afterdeath household, until a resounding crash woke Geno up. He practically threw himself over the lip of the shared bed, and into the hallway, Alpha in tow. Goth had his head peeking out of his room, eye’s wide and he looked towards the bathroom, watching as Geno approached it. When Geno opened the door, he’d been expecting a stranger, or an animal of some sorts, definitely not remnants of the bathroom mirror and clumps of black hair strewn across the floor. 

   The owner of the hair sat in the far corner of the bathroom, hands clasped against shorter, chopy, flat, black hair, eye blown wide and staring at the mess on the floor, miles away from here, and the younger was rocking back and forth muttering things Geno couldn’t hear from here “.. Is- s everything ok?” his son calls quietly, Geno’s head whips around, before looking back at the other teen n the bathroom, “Yeah just go back in you room” Geno says in a hushed tone, “but-“ Goth’s protest is cut off by Geno’s hardening stare, he nods before disappearing back into his room. 

  Geno turned back around to face the teen boy sitting on the floor, he notes that there’s blood, barely visible in the dim light, trailing down the younger's arms, likely from the glass… “shit” Geno muttered under his breath, slipping back into his own room real quick to put on his slippers, before entering the bathroom, he crouches down so he’s leveled with Lotus, but far enough that he isn’t accidentally cornering the young adult. 

   Geno recognized the look, the position Lotus was in. Ptsd was a familiar road, one Geno found himself traversing through especially coming to the surface. Back then he had Sans, Geno would’ve chuckled at the irony if it weren’t for the severity of the situation at hand. Lotus was out of it, Geno didn’t know if Lotus was reactionary or not, didn’t know how to ground the younger, he didn’t even know what had triggered this. But the sudden rush of DT helped. Taking a deep breath, Geno spoke softly, “Lotus?” he called, trying to pull the other out, but the muttering grew, Geno could now pick up a few apologies and pleas mixed in, but again, the crimson iris was still staring miles away. 

    Geno had a feeling that it wouldn't work, and his next move was risky, but he could handle it if Lotus lashed out. Carefully, and slowly, he moved his hand over to rest on the other’s knee, “Lotus? Can you hear me?” Finally the other’s eye snapped to the hand on his knee, stilling for a moment, and it went silent. Geno kept his hand there, it was light enough that Lotus could easily shift it off, but it was still a physical touch. He watched patiently as the other’s eye danced around the bathroom, his breathing had picked up a bit, and Geno took it as a sign to remove his hand slowly. 

  He needed to play this safe, he remembers Sans telling him how Geno’s first few episodes went, so he needed to be slow. From what Geno knew, the last thing he should do is make sudden movements. “Hey hon, you’re ok, alright?” Lotus’ head snapped to face him, hands untangling themselves from the tight grip in his hair. 

   Geno blinked back the burn in his eye. He never wanted to see any of the boys like this, because he knew what it felt like. He could only imagine what’s going on in Lotus’ head, “You’re safe, ok?” he watches as the other stares helplessly at him, it makes his heart ache so bad, “I need you to breathe, ok? Breathe with me- like we practiced '' Geno took demonstrating breaths of air, breathing in for four, hold for seven, out for eight, repeat. He watches carefully as Lotus pushes out breaths like he’s desperately trying to follow the instructions, Geno gives him a small smile, “Yeah, that’s it. You're doing good.” waiting had been hard, but Geno did it anyway. 

  Lotus needed stability, he'd wait. He'd do anything to make sure any of the boys were safe; this is very reminiscent of Palette's first nights here, from Goth's bad nightmares, Death's unwavering anxiety… Geno smiles as Lotus continues to desperately follow instructions. His heart aches when he notices that the younger is actively trying to regain control of his own body. But Lotus wasn't reactionary, or maybe this was a 'good one'. It's tricky to determine, Geno makes a mental note to talk about this with Lotus and the boys.