Chapter 3: A Mission

Neji's PoV
"What? (D/n) was kidnapped?" Naruto exclaimed as he quickly turned to face me. I nodded grimly. "She was taken from the courtyard last evening. This scroll was left there too." I pulled the scroll from my vest and held it out to the Hokage. He frowned slightly as he reached out to take the scroll in his bandaged hand.
After opening it and quickly reading it, he placed it on his desk. "I'll give it to Shikamaru to see if he can learn anything from it." He said. I nodded before speaking again. "It's from (Y/n)'s village. It has the insignia on it." I continued. The blond nodded, his face serious before saying that he'd pass the information on.
"Any idea who would want to do this?" He asked as he stared at me. I crossed my arms at the man with a nod. "(Y/n) had a number of enemies in her home country. Not to mention enemies of her family as well." He nodded. "Understood. Please try to get me a list." I nodded and turned to leave the office when his voice stopped me once again. "Oh, I almost forgot." He said. "He still won't stop talking I see." I thought with a sigh.
I silently turned to face him. "Congratulations on your new baby." He said with a light smile. I nodded, hoping, I could now leave the office. "What did you name him?" He asked. "(S/n). Is that all?" I said, starting to get rather irritated at his lack of urgency to investigate my daughter's kidnapping.
    "Here." He said as he dug into his pocket and held out a folded piece of paper. "Hinata asked me to give this to you the next I saw you." I narrowed my eyes slightly before taking the paper from him and silently leaving the room. I entered the compound and approached the room that I shared with my wife. A bad feeling arose in the pit of my stomach as I saw Hanabi holding my newborn child and Sakura quickly approaching me; both women sharing a worried look. "Thank goodness. She's been asking for you." Sakura said before Hanabi walked over and handed me the sleeping infant.
    "Is she alright?" I asked worriedly, causing both of them to turn their gaze from me and to the floor. I looked down at my son's face as he slept. He seemed so peaceful and unaware of the chaos and fear going on around him. He was blissfully unaware of the fact that his mother was sick and of his older sister's kidnapping the day of his birth. As a sad silence blanketed the group, I wished that both of my children had been able to remain this carefree. The silence was broken by a harsh cough coming from the nearby bedroom and snapped us out of our trance-like state. I quickly entered the room.
    On the floor level bed lay (Y/n). Her face flushed and a folded cloth on her forehead. I knelt next to her and held her cold hand before looking back to the doorway. "Her fever hasn't broken yet." Hanabi explained softly as she knelt down next to me. Sakura walked around to the other side of the bed and replaced the cloth with a new one. "She's been asking for you all day. Hanabi was going to go look for you if you weren't back soon." Sakura said quietly. Just then, (Y/n) muttered something just loud enough for me to hear. "Neji..." I squeezed her hand a bit. "I'm right here, (Y/n)."
    Her eyes opened slightly, her (e/c) hues meeting mine. "Find... (d/n)..." She whispered. I nodded before gently squeezing her hand once again. "I will. I promise." She nodded and gave me a weak smile. "I love you. Now rest, my love." I said before kissing her forehead and standing to leave the room. "Neji! Where are you going." I heard Hanabi call. I stopped walking and waited for her to catch up. "What are you doing?" She asked from behind me. I turned around and carefully handed her the baby wrapped in blankets. "I'm going to go get my daughter back. Look after them for me while I'm gone."
   I sighed and ruffled the young woman's hair when I saw the look of worry on her face. "Don't worry. I'll be back soon." I reassured my younger cousin with a gentle smile. She hesitantly nodded. I turned and left to go inform Naruto of my plan and gather my team. As I approached the Hokage building, I met Hinata on her way out. I didn't register she was speaking to me until I felt a hand on my shoulder.

Hinata’s PoV 
  As I was leaving the Hokage office, I saw Neji with a rather angry look on his face. "Neji-niisan, what's wrong?" I asked as he approached the door. When he didn't answer, I gently put my hand on his shoulder, causing him to turn around quickly. "Oh, Hinata-sama. What did you need?" I removed my hand from my older cousin's shoulder. "You seem to be angry. What's wrong?" I repeat. "It's nothing. I just need to speak to Hokage-sama about something." He said quickly before once again turning and entering the building.
   I watched through the door worriedly as he walked away, knowing that he wouldn't tell me, but also knowing something was bothering him.