Chapter 2: The Note

(Y/n)'s PoV
    Our peace was short lived, as our village seemed cursed to forever be a target, and particularly our family. Neji had taken his genin team on a mission, leaving (d/n) with me and Sakura at the compound. Sakura brought her daughter Sarada with her when she came to help with things around the compound. (D/n) was at the compound training ground while Sakura and I started to prepare dinner. We had decided to make curry but as we were cutting up the onion and carrots, a scream was heard from the courtyard. 
   We quickly put the knives down and raced to the courtyard to see Hanabi and Hiashi standing on the other side. After scanning the courtyard, we realized that (d/n) was nowhere to be seen. A pain in my stomach caused me to place my hand on it as I exchanged a look of worry with Hanabi and Hiashi. "(D/n)?!" I cried as fear flooded my mind. "She's not here, (y/n)." Hanabi said as she deactivated her Byakugan. We all slowly walked to the center of the courtyard, searching for any sign of my missing daughter.
   "What happened?" Hiashi asked as he stood in front of me, his eyes as unreadable as ever. "(D/n) came out here to train for a bit while Sakura and I were preparing dinner. We heard a scream but she wasn't here when we got out here." I explained as the pain in my abdomen persisted. "(Y/n)." Sakura called as she stood from the ground holding a scroll.
   My heart dropped as I opened the scroll and read the contents.
   If you ever want to see your daughter alive again, come to training ground three at midnight.
   I dropped the scroll as tears burned my eyes and pain coursed through my body. I yelled in pain as I doubled over. "(Y/n)!" I looked over to see Neji racing towards me, his eyes full of worry. Sakura helped me straighten up before another wave of pain crashed over me. 
   I stared into my husband's concerned eyes as his hand rested on my back. "The baby's coming." I said. His eyes widened as Sakura helped me walk back into the house. "Neji, come here." Hiashi called, causing him to hesitantly move from my side and look over his shoulder at me, as I offered only a weak smile as reassurance.

Neji’s PoV
   I hesitantly stepped away from my wife's side as my uncle called me over, watching her over my shoulder as Sakura guided her back inside the house. I stood before my uncle and cousin as we waited for the women to be out of earshot. "What happened? Where's (d/n)?" I asked, now getting worried that my daughter was nowhere to be seen or heard, nor had been since my arrival.
   A thick tension settled over us before Hanabi silently handed me a scroll. My blood began to boil as I read what appeared to be a ransom note. I glared as I examined the scroll, looking for a clue as to who had kidnapped (d/n). My eyes narrowed at the insignia of Kirigakure on the scroll. "Damn it." I muttered. 
   As I opened my mouth to speak again, I saw Hanabi's expression soften as she looked behind me. I turned around to see Sarada standing on the steps with a worried expression. "What's wrong Sarada?" Hanabi gently asked the child. "Where's Mama?" She asked as she looked around. "She's inside. Why don't you go wait for her?" Hanabi said with a smile.
   Sarada shook her head. "It's noisy inside." She said. Hanabi smiled as she walked over and took the child's hand. "We'll go in with you then. Right Neji-kun?" She asked looking up at me. I nodded and we walked into the house.
    I paced as (y/n)'s yells continued to echo through the halls, knowing I could do nothing about it. Hanabi had gone to get Hinata who was now waiting with Sarada and me since Hanabi had gone to help Sakura deliver the baby.
   "Where's (d/n)?" Hinata asked, confused that she hadn't seen the girl yet. I handed her the scroll and paused when I saw a kunai on the floor of the engawa. My eyes narrowed as I picked up the knife. "You should tell Lord Hokage." Hinata said.
   I nodded as I stood and examined the knife. "I will." I said as I showed her the kunai. "Is it (d/n)'s?" She asked, concern lacing her voice. I shook my head. "She isn't using weapons yet and this isn't from our village. This is from Kirigakure."
   A higher pitched cry soon joined (y/n)'s. We watched the door in anticipation as Sakura opened it with a smile. "It's a boy." She said as stepped out and allowed me to enter the room.

(Y/n)'s PoV
   I smiled exhaustedly as Sakura handed me my son, bundled in a blanket. He had my (h/c) hair and (e/c) eyes with Neji’s pale skin. I looked up at Neji with a smile as he stood in doorway and saw our son for the first time. My husband sat next to me on the bed, looking slightly dazed as he watched the sleeping baby. "Would you like to hold him?" I asked quietly, earning a slight nod from the pale eyed man.
   I carefully handed the sleeping child to him as his expression became relaxed. There were more pressing matters at hand than the new baby though, like finding our daughter and her kidnapper, and bringing her home safely.