Chapter 1: Our Age of Peace

(Y/n)'s PoV

     I sat on the engawa in the courtyard as I watched Neji spar with (d/n) as I rubbed my swollen belly. I watched as the five year old girl tried her best to land a single hit on the brown haired man, even though she hadn’t succeeded in landing a single hit in the year he had been training her to enter the academy. 
     I smiled as I thought about how peaceful it’s been since the end of the war. Our children would finally get a life free of war and killing. The world we’d been fighting for since we were genin finally existed. I was brought back to reality by a sudden thud coming from the dirt training patch. I looked up to see my husband standing before our kneeling daughter who was attempting to catch her breath.
     I carefully tried to stand and suddenly felt a hand on my back and another on my arm. I looked up to see lavender eyes looking down at me. I smiled at the man beside me. “Thanks.” I said before feeling a small tug on my dress, making me look down. I looked down at my young daughter with a smile. “Mommy, Daddy! Can we go visit Grandpa and Grandma?” She asked cheerfully with a bright smile. I glanced over at Neji as if asking if he would be ok with it.
     “Are you feeling up to it (Y/n)?” He asked. I nodded earning a cheer from (D/n). I put my shoes on and we began the walk to the village. We left the compound and stopped at the Yamanaka Flower Shop once we were in town. I looked around the store for the colorful bouquet of chrysanthemums and primroses that we usually got. 
     “Going to visit them again?” I heard a woman ask. I turned around to see Ino standing behind us, her son Inojin standing behind her. “Auntie!” (D/n) exclaimed as she ran towards my friend. “Hi (D/n)! Are you going to see your grandparents again?” The blonde woman asked with a smile as she crouched to the young girl’s height and embraced her. “Mm-hm!” (D/n) hummed as she nodded. 
     “Here then. It’s a Camellia. It shows love and admiration.” My friend said as she handed the child a white blossom, earning her a tight hug from the happy child. I finally found the bouquet we usually got and took it to Ino to pay. Inojin came out from behind his mother and began talking to (D/n). “Inojin seems to be talking a lot more than usual.” Neji said as he watched the interaction of the two children. Ino nodded. “He always has talked to her more than he has to other kids.” She added.
     “Maybe he likes her.” I said, making Ino start laughing and Neji start glaring. “He’d better not.” I heard him mumble, making me laugh at his childishness. After we calmed down, I looked out the window to see the sun setting. “We should be going. It’ll be dark soon.” I said. Neji nodded in agreement. We said our goodbyes and left with (d/n) towards the village’s cemetery. 
     When we reached the graves of Neji’s parents, I gave the flowers to him to put in the vases while I lit the incense and blew it out. I handed the smoking sticks to my husband to put in the incense holders and we closed our eyes. “I know it’s been a while since we’ve visited. So, I think I’ll start by filling you guys in. I’m due any day now! (D/n) is excited about having a new sibling. I’m taking care of Neji and he takes good care of me and (d/n), so you don’t have to worry about us.” 
     “He’s still training her and she gets closer and closer to landing a hit every day! I wish you guys could meet them and watch them grow. We all miss you so much. Hinata’s pregnant again too. But I’ll let her tell you guys about that. Please tell Mom and Dad we say hi.” I finished as I felt a gust of wind rush past me, making me open my eyes and see that Neji was looking behind the headstones and paler than usual. He looked like he had just seen a ghost! Had he? I looked up to see nothing.
     I brushed it off and touched his shoulder lightly, making him jump slightly and look at me. “Are you ok?” I asked with concern. He nodded and held my hand to his face before kissing my palm. “We should go now.” He said as he looked at the sky. I nodded as I saw how dark it was getting and looked down at the girl who was looking up at her father worriedly. “Are you ok Daddy?” She asked, earning a simple nod and smile from the brunette. “I’m fine. Come on now, it’s time to go home.” He said as he took one of her hands and I took the other. I went to bed that night still wondering what my husband had seen at the cemetery. 
     I was glad we were able to live in a time of peace now. But the cemetery memorials and graves will always remind us of the friends and family we lost when we were young and not in a time of peace. It also reminds us that what so many died fighting for and protecting has finally been achieved. They can rest in peace now, and our children will never have to suffer through the same things we saw and did.