patient records

no. 999

patient identification number :
999

name :
bellatrix lestrange née black

initial observations :
often has fits of rage, delusions about a girl named alice, turns violent when left unrestrained, very disagreeable, calls nurses and myself "muggles" — made-up term?

diagnosis :
mania

hospitalized :
october 12, 1989

treatments :
rotational therapy, hydrotherapy, bleeding and purging, confinement, opium, gynaecological surgery, transorbital lobotomy

died :
december 25, 1990

signed :
𝒟𝓇. 𝐻𝑒𝓃𝓇𝓎 𝒞𝑜𝓉𝓉𝑜𝓃*

dr. henry cotton was an american psychiatrist during the 1900s. he personally believed that insanity was caused by the presence of infection within the human body, most prevalently in the teeth. thus when he became the medical doctor of the trenton psychiatric hospital in 1907, he immediately implemented his ideas.
cotton took to pulling the teeth of patients to cure them of their lunacy. however when that didn't work, he moved on to removing internal organs like the tonsils, stomach, gallbladder, testicles, ovaries, and colons.
he claimed to have a 85% cure rate, which encouraged other psychiatrists to mimic his methods. furthermore, cotton was able to win over the general public with his ludicrous claims. family members of patients with mental health illnesses were all requesting the "surgery a la cotton" to help cure their loved ones.
it was obvious, though, that cotton was fibbing his stats. there was a time when one in three of his patients would die (33% death rate). however some psychiatrists were suspicious of his methods and questioned it, leading to a investigation by dr. phyllis greenacre in 1924. she found that most of cotton's patients had no teeth, were mistreated, and that patient records were chaotic. in her survey of a sample of 62 patients that had been 'treated' by cotton, it was revealed that 17 had died immediately, several had passed away after a few months, and only 5 had recovered, but still were symptomatic.
during greenacre's damning investigation, cotton himself 'fell mad', which caused the investigation to be forgotten about. shortly hereafter, cotton was miraculously 'cured' of his madness. he claimed to have cured himself by pulling out a few of his teeth.
almost immediately, cotton's treatments were back in demand. thankfully, in the early 1930s, the trenton hospital board launched an investigation of cotton's methods. cotton and his supporters would fiercely deny that their procedures were harmful. it was in one of these arguments when cotton suddenly had a heart attack and passed away in 1933.

DISCLAIMER : i realize that making cotton bellatrix's doctor isn't physically possible or believable given many factors, but just roll with it, yeah? thanks hehe