two - calculations

One of the things I had worked on during these past two years was establishing a relationship with Empress Medea.

We weren't particularly close, per se - I couldn't even imagine how Roman would murder me if he believed I was in alliance with Empress Medea, who had tormented him since his youth - it was more of a business relationship. I made sure to stay distant and professional.

Empress Medea hadn't even been interested in me until I began dipping my hand into business. I suppose this was another thing I had been working on for the past two years. I took over several boutiques and predicted fashion trends that would come later, staying ahead of the curve and growing successful. I partnered with a talented alchemist and we produced fragrant soaps, creams, and moisturizers that were to be invented two years down the line. I applied and paid for vast expanses of land, and then instructed our family troops on where to uncover mines.

More than anything, it made me incredibly rich.

My parents were somewhat alarmed at first, since the Aediles had historically been full of imperial advisors, swordmasters, and scholars, but never businessmen. However, they quickly warmed up to the idea as I pointed out how the money could be used to fix and defend the duchy.

All in all, it was the experience of a time traveler which got me this far. Empress Medea found these qualities satisfying enough to invite me to tea, and I gratefully accepted. It wasn't my original goal to become affiliated with Empress Medea, but it had its perks in its own way. For example, I now had an excuse to freely enter the palace.

"Valerie," Medea greeted me warmly as I stepped inside her greenhouse. She loved drinking tea here, and for good reason - the place was lush and abundant with color and fragrance. Lillies the size of my face bloomed year-round, and roses set the backdrop for the Empress as she awaited me at her table. I bowed deeply, and sat down with my eyes lowered.

Empress Medea, with her curls of dazzling blonde hair and cruel blue eyes looked every bit the villain she was. My mind briefly flashed back to memories of curling up at night with Roman as he told me stories of Medea's abuse. As a child, she hit him, neglected him in his palace, starved him, made up rumors about him, and fed him poison. I had touched Roman's face, as unflinching as always, and wondered if she was the one who made him this way. Then, he would turn over and smile at me.

Medea was dressed in an olive green dress, one which had a skirt that reached down to her feet and long, billowing white sleeves. Although simple in nature, the dress exhibited its expense and complexity through an intricate green corset done with white lace and ribbons. The skirt was also made up of several layers of fabric, showing off the careful handiwork done by its creator. Medea had even affixed a large olive green bow to her hair as an accessory, a bow which boasted an impressive, flawless emerald the size of my palm.

I recognized it. The dress, in trend, had been designed at one of my boutiques. And the emerald had been mined at one of my caves.

"I quite like this piece," Medea commented, waving around her arms. The dress, in soft green and white, would have complimented the appearance of someone innocent and charming. Knowing Medea, I wished that I had designed the dress in red.

"Please send my appreciation to its maker," Medea looked up at me with her piercing eyes, and smiled.

"The pleasure is all ours," I nodded at her gently. "To know that Empress Medea enjoys our work, and even wears it, is the greatest honor my shop could ask for."

Medea smiled knowingly. I smiled softly back, wanting to leave.

"I like your dress, Valerie." She said. "Come on, stand and show it to me."

A tingle of fear ran down my back, but I did as she said. My dress was far simpler than hers - it was white and also adorned with lace, with long flowing sleeves and a tailored skirt that ended right at my knees. The collar was also decorated with elegant pearls and embroidery, giving the appearance of an elevated nightgown.

"Tell me about it," Medea ordered.

"We wanted to take something simple and classic, such as the nightgown, and elevate it to an everyday dress."

"I love it," Medea smiled, pinching at one of the pearls on the hem of my skirt. "You may expect my order to come in sometime this week."

"Of course," I nodded.

Damn. I have to stop designing things in white.

"Sit back down," Medea said, and then beckoned on the tea. Her maids went to work, measuring out the right amount of leaves and testing the temperature of the water. Within minutes, we had cups and a tower of refreshments in front of us.

"How has your family been?" Medea sipped her drink, eyes lowered.

I bristled, but then relaxed.

"Quite well, thank you." I smiled. "My parents are in good health, and my second oldest brother is going to go off into his first battle soon."

Her ears pricked. "With Ieuan?" She smiled. "I'm glad. I've heard that your brother is very talented."

"Our family is honored to fight alongside the Crown Prince," I said.

Her smile grew wider.

"My mother has also been complaining recently about her drying hair," I continued. "As a result, I've come up with this moisturizer which keeps a woman's hair lush and rich..." I waved on my own servant, who had been standing to the side with a jewel encrusted box. "On that note, I hope to give you the finished product first..."