☙ Chapter Six

The rest of the class was spent with our partners. For most of the time, the Support and the Heroics kids got along fine and made good progress on the assignment. But for me and my partner, Bakugo stormed off, and I had no way of getting him to work with me. I knew there wasn't much I could do to build a hero costume when my designated hero wouldn't cooperate with me, so I called it a day.

    Dani, Double, and Snake were all still collaborating with their partners by the time the final bell rang. I let them be and went inside to pack up my bags before heading home for the evening. During the train ride back to the funeral house, I sat with my blank notebook opened in my lap. I couldn't write down an idea to save my life, and I could only hope that it would get easier in time.

    Back at the house, I didn't have to open the front door before my ghost family had phased through the wood to eagerly greet me.

    "Mordecai, you're back!" Cleo cheered and threw her arms out to try and hug me. A disappointed groan cut her joy short as she realized her mistake. She never was great at remembering when to turn tangible again.

    "It's about time." From behind Cleo, I heard Jack's cynical voice from through the door as he flew outside. "We thought the place would fall apart without you."

    Oh, I'm sure it's not that bad.

    I knew the ghosts would rely on me a lot, but I had only been gone for a day. How crazy could things have gotten?

    I opened the door to be instantly disproven by the hundreds of spirits crowding the downstairs lobby of my house. Almost every inch of the room was filled with a translucent person floating about. I didn't recognize any of them, and the sudden noise of all these unfamiliar people talking had really set me on edge. Several voices came up to talk to me before I could even take one step.

    From every side of me, I had an undead and unwelcomed visitor try to make unnecessary small talk. I understood that I was the only living person they've seen, but I had been through a long enough day as it was. I walked through the ghosts who tried to stop and talk to me and kept moving until I found one spirit I did want to see.

    Edison!

    I flagged down the older man who was busy behind the front desk with four different conversations at once.

    He tried to calm down the group of complaining spirits in front of him with his hands up and his attention divided amongst all of them. "Listen, I know you all are here for a place to stay, but we just don't have the room." Edison didn't get far into his next sentence before the ghosts argued that they needed to stay. Some told him they've been looking for our house since the day they died, and others were so lost and disoriented about just losing their life that they didn't know where else to go.

    I called on Edison once more, only to get the eyes of the spirits locked on me. Being the center of their undead attention wasn't a comfortable feeling, but I tried to ignore them. Edison put his conversations on hold and floated to one of few free spots in the house at the time. We stopped in the service room and I closed the door, hoping no one but Cleo and Jack would follow.

    Just as I thought, they did follow me and Edison into the service room. The four of us were alone, but I could still hear the chatter of every spirit in the house fill my head. It was getting hard to concentrate, and my tics started to flair up with aggravation. I looked to Edison for an explanation.

    "So, how was school?" He asked in an avoidant manner.

    Why are there a million dead people in my house‽