Ch 3

Out of the kitchen walkway, I landed in the main room. A beautiful array of stairs awaited me, as well as a man at the very top. He held direct eye contact with me the whole time I walked up the stairs. He didn't try to look away at all. I did many times. His gaze felt like daggers. When I was almost at the top, his eyes softened. I was taken off guard and my knees weakened. I fell backward suddenly. I closed my eyes to accept my soon painful fate. A pair of hands caught me in my peaceful drift to my doom.

"You need to be careful, miss." The man, who I assumed was Marcus, said.

He displayed a likeness of prince hood in his voice. If this was a fairytale, I would be the princess whose prince came to devour her and take her joy. Like I had any left. I didn't come up with a plausible thing to say to him. In a normal situation, I guess thank you would suffice. I don't think that'll be in my vocabulary anymore. It gives me a false sense of security and that would end my downfall. Plus, he did this because he had to. Not because he actually cared. I was only precious cargo to my handler.

I threw myself from his arms. If I stayed in his arms for too long, I would've confused his warmness for affection.

"I was only trying to help..." He muttered under his breath.

Years of abuse hid my using my native tongue of sarcasm. I would normally snap his little ego in half.

He started to walk away. My body didn't register that I had to follow so I stood there frozen. He seemed like miles away when I eventually started moving. The hallway we walked was so long but lacked any character. It had nothing on it all. There were no pictures of family/friends, a pet, or even a plant. Life could not exist in this house. I would not believe it did if it wasn't for the two breathing bodies walking about. The man, Marcus caught my wandering eye.

"There will be plenty of time for you and the master to fill these walls, don't worry. He has very high hopes for you two." He smiled as though not every word of his mouth wasn't bull.

He showed me to this room. It had one bed. It was too small to hold two people. I guess I was spared the wife's part.

"This is your new home for the next year. Once you're 18, you will be moved to the master's quarters." He explained to me.

So the dude's a pervert and buys girls but at least he waits for me to be legal. Oh, my lucky day. A man with standards. I lost my voice a long time ago but I won't let my thoughts be controlled. I sigh and wait for further instructions.

"You're supposed to bathe and not come out till you feel clean enough. He wants a fresh and clean girl. Someone will be up to do something with this hair once you're clean and dressed."

He touched my brittle hair and scoffed at it. He walked out the door and shut behind him. It felt weird having a room to myself. I haven't experienced this in years. Clothes that looked like they were for the Mormon laid on my bed. New clothes at last. I've been wearing the same clothes for years now.

I walked to a door and a bath was already drawn for me. Different types of soap and shampoo were out. I felt clean before touching it. I was in that little room for so long. But the last thing I have dreamt of was a bath. Yet, this seems like a dream come true. I stripped for the first time of my own volition. A little bit of the room seemed to leave when I took off my clothes. I dipped a toe into the water. It felt like I dipped my toe in gold. I was gonna feel clean for the first time in forever. The rest of my body sank slowly into the water and I was ready to suffocate in it.