Ch 4

This felt much better than anything I had with that man. He would spray me down with a hose to clean me every once in a while. The water was freezing cold and I couldn't use any soap. It was always with my clothes on so after I sat in wet clothes for days. It would get moldy and he would have to bring me new ones. I was always grateful I never had to shed my clothes.

This bath was warm and calming. I could drift away into it. I would have if I had not noticed my hair. It scraped my skin and felt crisp. It has been years since I combed my hair. It was knotted and nasty. I drifted into the bath and let my hair soak. It would take much more than water to unravel.

A comb sat on the counter. It called to me. I tripped over myself to go getit. I hope I will not get in trouble with the water dripping all over the floor. Combing would be an understatement for what I did to my hair. I yanked it out piece by piece. By the end I had a huge clump of hair on the side of the tub. My hair flowed with the water of the tub. I felt clean. Something I took for granted before.

After I finished getting every gunk off of me, I dried my hair. A simple washing of the hair was something I missed. I missed my curls. I had a frizzy mess of an excuse for hair and without any products there wasn't much I could do. I braided my hair the neatest I could.

I remember my mom would always sing when she did my hair. It would make the yanking less painful.

I was singing to myself and reminiscing.

"Amazing Grace...how sweet the sound..."

I stopped when I saw my reflection. The mirror showed me my whole body. I looked more closely and saw all the marks I have obtained over the years. My skin has gotten pretty light since my lack of sunlight. It must have made my bruises more visible. I was black and purple all over. I could only imagine what my back looked like. It was best to not even look.

My mood was getting gloomier by the minute. I finally was brought back to reality.This place was glamorous but my position stayed the same. I was the victim. I escaped the clutches of a treacherous man but I was handed to another.

I decided to just be happy to get fed for once. There were lotions and sweet smelling perfumes on the dresser. I doused myself in it. A night gown was laid on the bed. I put that on and laid down and stared at the ceiling with no thoughts heading into my brain.

A knock at the door shaken me and I walked toward it. I wondered if this was my new master. I greeted with a quiet greeting as I opened the door.

Marcus was there. "Dinner is ready."

"Yes sir." I mumbled.

"Come on now. You looked much more presentable for the master."

I didn't say anything and followed him back down the stairs. I was much more careful. I didn't want to fall in his arms again.

I was brought to a dining room or at least I assumed. It was bigger than the whole apartment that I stayed in. I sat at the end of the table. No one else was there, only emptiness and workers running back and forth. Just who was gonna sit at the other end?