chapter 02

✿ Verena ✿

✿ Verena ✿

"Rhys?" I call out, sitting on my side of the bed.

"What?" He says, not looking away from his laptop.

"What do I order for dinner?" I ask, my eyes scanning the menu.

"Whatever the fuck you want," He says.

"Aren't we gonna eat the same food?" I question.

"No? Does this look like a family trip?" He questions.

"Fine," I huff, I look at the thirty dishes on the menu and decide it would be best to try all of them one after the other for the rest of the month.

Then, I look at the prices and my heart drops, too expensive. My plans seem to change and I go for the grilled cheese sandwiches. I dial the reception, asking for those.

Next, I open my bag and place all the clothes along with some of my other things on the bed, one after the other. I try not to sulk. This was supposed to be happening in my College dorm.

Suddenly, I feel Rhys's eyes on me. I look up.

"What's that?" He asks, pointing at my arts book.

"A book," I provide.

"Cool," He says and turns away.

I fold all of my clothes one after the other, humming a song.

"Stop singing."

"Stop listening."

Rhys glances up at me and leans across the bed, his hands on my precious book.

"No, stop!" I say, climbing on the bed, messing all of my clothes again.

Arghhhhhhhh.

I crawl towards his side and try snatching the book away. He raises his arm and I feel like a child when he keeps moving it away from me just when I think I've got it.

"Is it a personal diary?" He asks, holding the book higher in the air.

"No," I whisper, "now give it back," I say, trying to reach for it again.

"I just wanted to see," He says, surprising me as he hands the book back and shifts his position a little, sitting with his back resting on the bed frame, arms behind his head.

I watch as he closes his eyes, looking all tired. Poor soul.

I move away as the bell rings, indicating the arrival of my cheese sandwiches. I run towards the door and carry the plate into the room, making a show out of it as Rhys opens his eyes.

I place it aside and get back to folding my clothes. I tuck them away, working in lightening speed and then rush into the bathroom, changing into my night pajamas. I tie my long brown hair into a ponytail and walk out, feeling happy over grilled cheese.