Chapter 16

"Professor?" she shrieked.
     He turned round and panic spread across his face, "Emma! Shh!"
     She gestured manically, "But-"
     Then his finger was pressed against her lips. "Please, sit down and let me explain."
     She shook herself free, but spoke quietly, refusing to sit and pointing at Ted, "Him? really?"
     "Emma, please, let me explain."
     ''Explain, then! Explain why the fuck I just caught you making out with that asshole!"
     "Excuse me, I am right here!"
     "And you apparently think that I give a shit!"
     "Emma, please sit down," Henry said.
     She begrudgingly obliged and stared at them harshly. "Well?"
     "Ted and I... We're..."
     "I'm his boyfriend."
     Emma scoffed and directed her next question at Henry, "Why the fuck?"
     "Because I like him. I really like him." He smiled hesitantly at Ted, who smiled back.
     "Ew, gross! You realise he's hit on me like, every fucking day since I started working at Beanies?"
     "And I'm sorry about that," Ted said, much to Emma's surprise.
     "I know I've been ... horrible ... in the past. And I'm not asking you to like or even ... forgive me. But please don't judge Henry."
     "Ew!" Emma nearly had to shut her eyes, startled by Ted's casual use of Henry's first name.
     "Emma, Emma, calm down," Henry said softly. "I know this is a bit of a shock."
     "Understatement of the fucking year."
     Ted looked at her, confused, "Dude, we literally all nearly got killed by a meteor, how are you more shocked-"
     "But, please, don't tell the others."
     "No, of course I won't."
     "And please don't judge us."
     "That I cannot promise."
     "Please?"
     She sighed, then looked to Ted, "Give me one reason why I shouldn't just punch you."
     "He makes me happy," Henry said.
     Emma paused for a second, looking between the two. "All right, fine. I won't say anything, I'll keep my judgement to myself."
     "Thank you," Henry said as Emma got a glass of water and went to leave the room.   
     "That doesn't mean I like you," she said, pointing at Ted again and leaving before he could respond, not convinced that she was going to be able to catch up on her sleep after all.
     "Oh god," Ted groaned, "Can't wait for Emma to glare at me every time she sees me."
     "Don't worry, Teddy. She'll get over it."
     "You really think so? I have been an asshole to her."
     "She's not gonna hate you forever if you show that you've changed."
     "I hope not."
     Henry chucked, "I wonder what was going through her head when she saw us."
     "I'm not sure I want to know what creative names for me were going through her head."
     "I'm not sure I want to know what it was like experiencing the horror of catching her former teacher kissing someone."
     Ted laughed, "Yeah. I once saw my art teacher in the car park kissing her boyfriend and I was traumatised. And I never once cried in her classroom. Apart from the times I was bored to tears, I guess."
     "Do you think we should maybe start going somewhere a little more private from now on if we're gonna do that?"
     "Yeah. Probably."
     "Wanna go to my study?"
     "Sure."
     "But make sure my desk stays intact. I swear if I find one thing out of place I'll make up some horrible lie about you, tell Emma and watch as she tears you to shreds. Physically and verbally."
     Ted laughed, fear momentarily appearing in his eyes, "I will touch nothing." He stood up, quietly adding, "Nothing on the desk, at least."
     Henry grinned, following Ted as he walked to the door. "Good."

~

(A/N: I was just reading (Radio Silence by Alice Oseman - would recommend) and decided to take a break. And ended up doing this. I just took a break from reading to write. Why am I like this?)