year 3: the letter

"I'm standing right here"

✷·゚ᗢ ⋆ ♔ ⑨ ¾ ϟ ☾ ゚·✷

When they arrived at their new house, they unpacked and organized everything. Two weeks later, while Y/N was washing dishes from the lunch they had earlier, a very handsome tawny owl came through the kitchen window, landing right beside the kitchen sink, dropping the letter it was carrying on the table and taking a drink of water from the running sink and flew off.

Ms. Y/N V. Russo
Second Bedroom on the Left
Russo and Lupin Cottage
Oxford, England

She turned off the water, dried her hands and grabbed the letter. She turned it over and saw that it had the Hogwarts crest on it. The girl went on and opened the letter.

Dear Ms Russo,

Please note that the new school year will begin on September the first. The Hogwarts Express will leave from King's Cross Station, platform nine and three-quarters at eleven o'clock.

Third-years are permitted to visit the village Hogsmeade on certain weekends. Please give the enclosed permission form to your parent or guardian to sign

A list of books and supplies for next year is enclosed.

Yours sincerely, Professor M. McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

Y/N looked to the backside of the page a saw the things she will need, then Y/N looked the other page, looking at the Hogsmeade permission slip.

Uniform:

-three sets of plain robes (black)

-one plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

-one pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)

-one winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)

Course books

-Standard Book of Spells, Grade 3 by Miranda Goshawk

-A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

-A Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling

-Intermediate Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

-One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore

-Unfogging the Future by Cassandra Vablatsky

-The Monster Book of Monsters

-Spellman's Syllabary for Study of Ancient Runes

-Magical Draughts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

-The Essential Defense Against the Dark Arts by Arsenius Jigger

Other Equipment

1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)

1 set of glass or crystal vials

1 telescope

1 set of brass scales

Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad

"Mom!" Y/N yelled for her mother, "I got my Hogwarts letter!"

The (y/e/c) girl walked to the living room and saw her mother holding the book she was just previously reading. 

"Really? Let me see!" Violet exclaimed, excitedly.

Y/N handed her mother the letter and watched as she read it and saw her mothers expressions brighten as she read it, but then it turned into a fake smile when she saw Unfogging the Future.

"I see Remmy signed you up for Ancient Runes, Magical Creatures, and... Divination, yay," her mother said with fake enthusiasm as she read it. Violet always thought Divination was a bunch of guess work and making stuff up and not very useful. This may or may not have something to do with her barely passing the class during her years at Ilvermorny.

"Heres the thing, I know you don't like it and didn't want me to take it, but Uncle Remmy said that he enjoyed it when he was at Hogwarts, so I just thought 'don't knock it till you try it' amirite?," Y/N awkwardly laughed with her shoulders raised and arms raised (kinda like this 🤷‍♀️).

Violet tilted her head to the left and playfully narrowed her eyes, "Hmm, ok but I'm warning you now, you're not going to like it." Y/N gave her a facial expression and a half nod that said 'yeah, you're probably not going to be wrong on that one.'

"Okay let's go find your father and Remus to see when we could take you to Diagon Alley at get all this stuff," said her mother, walking outside towards the back door, to the garden to where both her father and uncle were talking about something very hushed and quietly.

Y/N looked at both of them with a confused and suspicious expression, "Sebastian, Remus, what are you talking about?" asked her mother suddenly, making both of them jump slightly and turn to them. Sebastian's just being a little more dramatic and looking at both of them as if he were a deer caught in the headlights.

"What? Nothing, don't worry about it, Vi," her fathers voice being higher than usual and mouthing to her mother 'we'll talk about this later' obviously trying to be discreet, but failing miserably as Y/N was standing right next to her. Y/N's head tilted and her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"I am standing right here," she whispered to her mother.

"I know, peanut. I know," Violet breathed, pinching the bridge of her nose with her index finger and thumb.

Remus was the first one to break the awkward tension by turning to Y/N, "So what was it that you guys needed?"

"Oh yeah, I got my Hogwarts letter."

Both her father and Remus cheered for the girl, her father reaching for the letter. "What's with all the books, n/n?"

"She has to get them because they are needed for the school year and since she wasn't there for the first 2 years, she has to get the books for herbology, history of magic, potions," explained Remus.

"That's boring," murmured Sebastian as Remus grabbed the letter, going through the books.

Violet wrapped an arm around her daughter, "In case you forgot, Y/N loves to read, our living room is basically a library even though we have one. So, I don't think she has a problem with it."

"Nope. Okay soooo when can we go get this stuff?"

"In a couple weeks, maybe," Sebastian suggested.

"So the day before I go to school. Okay, cool."

✷·゚ᗢ ⋆ ♔ ⑨ ¾ ϟ ☾ ゚·✷

"Good news, good new, good news, that's
all they wanna hear."

-"Good News" by Mac Miller