A different Nightmare

I slammed my pen against the paper, letting out an exasperated sigh

I slammed my pen against the paper, letting out an exasperated sigh. Chloe turned her head up, looking at me as she gave a soft smile followed by a sigh of her own. She moved forward and gently squeezed my palm, intertwining her fingers with mine.

“Don't worry about it so much, Erna. We'll find something about it, it's just a matter of time,” she said, tilting her head as her lips parted a little.

It's been two days since that bird incident and I still don't know what exactly happened. How could I just kill the pigeon like that? And that black fog? That energy I was feeling inside? What was the meaning of all that? I think that maybe I'm a psychopath. We were trying to find anything that could be helpful with my nightmares or the strange incidents happening to me, but haven't found anything useful yet.

I nodded to Chloe in response while turning my face towards the window, looking at the sun rays that had slightly made their way in through the cracks. I hate Summers. Mentally groaning, I faced the table back. Letting my fingers run through my messy hair, I stared at the pile of paper laid in front of me. This work can't be done without coffee, I definitely need some energy to go through this again.

I got up from the table as Chloe looked at me, arching one of her eyebrows as her fingers fidgeted around the tip of the paper.

“We both are in desperate need of some coffee.” I said as my lips slightly turned upwards.

“Of course, can't deny some quality time with coffee and bestie,” She squealed.

Nineteen with a mentality of a 6-year-old. That's Chloe.

“I'll make some for both of us,” I smiled to myself as I strolled down the stairs, playing with the silver bracelet tied around my wrist.

I quickly made two cups of black coffee with whipped cream on top. I also took a packet of nachos and made my way back to my living room. I placed the cup on the desk as the surrounding air fabricated with the richness of the sudden delight. The aroma made Chloe's head jerk towards the cup and then me as she mouthed a 'thank you' before taking a sip of her favorite drink.

“So, found anything?” I found myself sounding a bit hoarse, maybe because of the warmth of the coffee burning down my throat.

“Not yet,” She replied, turning the page of her book.

I let out a breath of disappointment before munching down on the nachos I brought. “Maybe we should check out the other libraries of the city. Any ancient ones?” I suggested suddenly, biting down my lower lips impatiently.

“Not a bad idea. Wait, let me look for it on the web.” she spoke, opening her laptop. She took her time typing and scrolling things out as I closed my eyes, lazily.

I found myself in the familiarity of the dark tunnel. The darkness felt soothing against my skin. Taking small and meticulous steps, I ambled down the lane, occasionally touching the figures carved on the side walls. I hugged the satin robe that I was wearing close to my body as the rough, cold wind brushed against my skin, with my nerves tingling at the sudden sensation. I stopped at some point as the tunnel seemed to be a never-ending one. Taking in a breath, turned around and looked at the path I came from.