"Initium novum"

I impatiently tapped on my foot as I saw the crowd of people coming down the airport

"Where is Chloe?" I groaned as I saw the familiar petite figure approaching. I moved out of the arrival lounge, with my purse clenched tightly in between my fingers. Chloe's asymmetrical brown hair flared under the wind as she struggled to pull up her suitcase from the baggage carousel.

I quickly moved closer to her as I pulled up the suitcase, helping her. "What did you put in the suitcase to make it this heavy?"

"Erna! Well, this is awkward. I didn't expect to meet like this." She rubbed the back of her neck as she went forward to take the rest of her luggage.

"Yeah yeah, but seriously, who carries these many things?" I rolled my eyes as I pulled the suitcase forward with its wheels rolling down.

"Me! Who else?" She giggled, as we walked out of the busy airport.

We staggered forward with our heavy luggage as the creepy night air hit our skin. The bright moonlight illuminated the dark surroundings as a few clouds lingered in the sky. There were very few houses around the airport, since people prefer not to reside in this part of the town.

We halted near our car as I unlocked the door before getting inside. Chloe followed me while keeping her luggage on the back seat. She secured the seat belt around her and motioned me to start the car.

"This area looks creepy at nighttime," Chloe parted her lips into a thin line as I turned on the headlights.

"Blame the high crime cases for that-" I chuckled sarcastically as I shifted the gear. "—If only the crime were a little low, there would be more people residing in here."

Chloe nodded as she leaned against the door while watching the night sky.

"What was it that you wanted to show me?" I asked suddenly as she turned her head towards me. She moved forwards, rummaging through her backpack before taking out a thick book.

"This," Chloe pointed her eyes at the book, passing it on my lap.

"This?" I surveyed the old book with my eyes. It had an old brown cover on top with some part of it torn out. The pages inside were wrinkled, and the ink seemed to be fading out, with the words missing at some places. It seemed to be ancient? "Where did you find this?" I asked again, looking ahead as I drove through the concrete path surrounded by thick bushes and trees.

"In a library in Germany. I found a few things about Tophet in here, and the book looked like it could help." She answered, rubbing my palm that was kept on the book. "How is Rick?"

"Okay, as per now. He wanted to come today, but his Chemo got him badly exhausted." I turned the steering wheel to the right as I focused my gaze on the dark road.

"Erna- I wasn't there to ask you, but now that you saw that Aimilios guy in your dream...do you really like Maverick?" Chloe asked bluntly.

"I do, Chloe, I really do. With Maverick- I feel so happy and calm and...safe. Aimilios? I hardly even know him and we don't even know if my dreams are real or just something my mind is playing with."