t h r e e

"Adeline please wake up," a voice echoed. Her eyes fluttered open and revealed Dessa staring over her. "Someone wants to see you in the common room, but Nina won't tell me who." Adeline sat up, rubbing her eyes.

"What time is it?" Her voice was raspy as she straightened her sweater. Dessa looked over, finding the nearest clock.

"3:30. Nina says it's important," she whispered. The other girls had gone to their beds, their covers pulled up over their heads. Adeline swung her feet over the edge of her bed and stood, her shoulder brushing against Dessa's. "Adeline please be safe." Her voice was more stern. Her eyes had narrowed and anyone around could tell she was not joking around. Adeline nodded, pushing open the dorm door. She slowly made her way down the hallway, pulling her sleeves down over her hands.

The air was cool and the floor felt like ice underneath her feet. Her eyes scanned the room ahead as she came nearer. She half-expected Theodore Nott to be sitting in an armchair, his eyes locked on the entryway. But instead, it was one person she hadn't anticipated.

"Adeline Howard," the boy said. He said on the couch, his arms rested on his legs. "Its important." He immediately pushed himself off the couch and walked to her, a book held tightly in his hand.

"Harry Potter," she said. "You know I'm not supposed to interact with you. Not after last year." He ignored her words and held out his book. She looked at it, a puzzled look on her face. "What do you want?"

"Do you know the person this book belongs to? Someone called The Half-Blood Prince."

She took the book in her hands, flipping through the pages. Whoever it was scribbled all over it and left barely any area empty. "No. I don't know anyone that calls themselves that." She handed the book back over, her eyes glued to him. "What's going to happen? I mean with all the Dark Lord shit," she mumbled, not expecting an answer.

"I'm not sure, but whatever it is we'll be ready." She looked him in the eyes. This was someone who had lost nearly everything. This boy carried the weight of the world on his shoulders and rarely received any sympathy. He was dealing with situations not even grown men could acknowledge at the age of sixteen. No one should be burdened with such a fate.

"You know, I'm supposed to stay away from trouble this year," she said. A smile spread onto his lips.

"We'll see how long that lasts. I'll see you around." Harry turned away and vanished under the Invisibility Cloak. Adeline sighed, allowing her mind to blank as she made her way back to bed.

A few days went by. They followed the same schedule every day and each day, they complained a little more.

"Yesterday, Malfoy tried to ruin my notes. I don't think I can put up with him," Dessa ranted. The pathways to classes had gotten less crowded as the first years found their way around, but occasionally they'd bump into a lost one. In that instance, Isaac would pull Dessa away while Nina dealt with the issue.

"Miss Pansy Parkinson doesn't speak to me unless absolutely necessary." Adeline peered over at Isaac, his head hanging low.

"Consider yourself lucky," Nina laughed. "Daphne Greengrass shares everything with me. I know the last time her and Malfoy hooked up, Adeline." Her voice was laced with disgust as the entered the class. Pansy was already there, her elbows rested on the desk. Adeline quietly came up beside her, dropping into her seat slowly.

They stayed silent. No one spoke with their partner, only their friends if they were around. Dessa slouched over the table, her forehead on the surface. Adeline leaned back, elbowing her on the top of the head.

"Oh fuck you, Adeline," she groaned.

"You love me." Dessa sat up and set her hand on Adeline's shoulder.

"Only sometimes." Adeline patted her hand and smiled.

"God, stop flirting it's disgusting," Draco chimed in. Dessa turned to him, glaring at him angrily. She removed her hand off of Adeline and flipped him off.

"Look who's talking, you'd probably be flirting with her if you were her partner." Dessa pointed to Adeline with a smug look. He rolled his eyes and looked away. Pansy had sat up, listening in.

"In her dreams," he scoffed, looking at the back of Pansy's head. Adeline sighed, crossing her arms. Never in a million years.

McGonagall gave an assignment and sat at her desk, watching over everything silently. Adeline held her wand, staring at the book.

"What are we supposed to turn it into?" Pansy mumbled. Her wand laid on the table a few inches from her hand. Adeline sighed and nodded toward the front of the room.

"She wrote it up there," she said. "She wants us to make it a cup." Pansy picked her wand up and took a deep breath. She mumbled the spell, pointing at the old book.

Nothing happened.

She groaned and ran a hand through her short hair. "You try," she huffed. Adeline sighed, keeping in mind everything McGonagall had ever told her. The words fell off her tongue simply and she moved smoothly. Pansy watched her, her chin resting on her palm. Her eyes were focused on Adeline's hand, her gaze following the movements she made with her wand.

In the blink of an eye, the book was a cup. Pansy, shocked, perked up. Her eyes were wide and her hand fell flat on the table. "How'd you bloody do that?" She stared at Adeline. The girl avoided eye contact and just opened her notes.

"I try to write down everything McGonagall has ever said to us. Helps me remember," she said, her hand gripped the papers. Pansy nodded, suppressing a smile.

"Well you should help me out then," she said. "I don't know anything about this." She leaned back in her seat and crossed her arms. "And, maybe I can help you with something?"

"Like a trade?" Adeline cocked her head to the side and watched Pansy.

"More like a deal. Think of something you're rubbish at and if I'm fairly good at it, I'll help." She kept a straight face, though her eyes were soft and calm.

Adeline paused, looking down at her lap. "Well," she started. "I'm horrible at potions." Pansy nodded.

"I can help with that," she answered. The class ended then, everyone grabbed their things and left. Except Pansy. "We can discuss this deal a little more later, I'll have someone send you something." Draco had gripped her arm and pulled her, disappearing in the corridor.

"What was that about?" Dessa asked, packing her books into her bag.

"Nothing," Adeline lied. If she were to get extra help from a Slytherin, she'd have to keep in to herself.

They'd kill her if they knew.