f o u r t e e n

Adeline stared at the wall of the Hufflepuff common room, her focus wavering in and out as Nina talked at her with no end in sight. Dessa had been avoiding the group for a while and Nina began to speculate why and what they could do to get her back. Adeline kept her mouth shut and mind clear, fearing one day she'd slip up.

Two days remained until Christmas break and everyone had become antsy and restless. Whispers of returning home and seeing their families infiltrated the corridors. Nina talked all too much about being forced to return home and how she would stay back with Adeline and Dessa if she could.

Dessa's mum asked her to stay at school the previous night. She talked about how all the siblings were wanting to return home and she had to clear space to only have a few home at a time.

Adeline just didn't want to leave.

She thought that if she went home, she'd find herself caught up in thoughts she didn't want to have. At least if she stayed at Hogwarts, Dessa could keep her mind in check.

"Can I talk to you," Dessa whispered to her secretly. "Privately?" Adeline nodded, rising to her feet.

Dessa left promptly, leaving Adeline to defend herself alone. "I'll be right back," she said. Nina's jaw shut immediately and she eyed the red head as she vanished into the hall. Isaac stared, huffing slightly.

"What's up with them?" Nina turned to him and crossed her arms.

"Nina, I wish I could answer that question."

Dessa leaned against the doorframe and watched as Adeline approached. Her shoulders had been tensed for days and she barely spoke, only when Nina asked questions.

She was good at keeping her voice composed, that was a skill Adeline was envious of, but when it came to body language she couldn't mask it.

"I need your advice," she mumbled. "I tried writing to my sister but she didn't respond so."

Adeline analyzed her face and tried to read her thoughts before they even left her lips. She seemed desperate and unsure of herself. Like nothing was making any sense anymore.

"Draco wants to meet. Tonight. Something important, he said. I don't know what to do, Ad. This shit has me flinching every time Nina looks at me." She rubbed her arms and inhaled deeply, waiting for Adeline to say something.

Adeline didn't know what to say to her. She can't dish advice that she herself can't take, so what was she supposed to say? She felt things begin to crumbled and the pressure thicken as the silence grew around them.

"What do you want?" she asked.

"I couldn't even tell you," Dessa replied.

"Find out what you want. Figure out how you want to deal with this, Dess."

She met eyes with Adeline and her shoulders dropped.

"I don't want to make anyone upset. No matter how I spin this someone gets hurt." Her voiced lowered and her eyes dimmed. "He's cool. I mean, truly. But I can't stand the way he acts. I hate the way he treats people."

"Give him a choice," Adeline blurted. Dessa peeked up, her back coming off the door.

"Like what?"

"Tell him," she breathed, "If he likes you, or... whatever, he needs to change his attitude."

Dessa didn't speak for a minute, the gears in her brain turning extensively as she stared at Adeline.

"Cover for me," she finally whispered. "I'll tell him tonight." She patted Adeline's shoulder as she passed her and headed back to the common room. Adeline stared at the wall for a minute, her brain buzzing and Dessa's words echoing in her ears.