/chapter two/

Telling Åse the story

.
.
.
.
.

Canute was sitting next to Ragnar and Thorfinn was in front of them. The prince had his sight glued to his feet while the older man was telling him that he shouldn't be worried about Thorfinn and that he was there to protect him.

The short boy was resting his head on his palm, legs crossed and annoyed, staring straight into Canute's head.

-You are so boring, princess.- he spoke up. Canute looked in his direction and locked eyes with him but he couldn't perceive what he was thinking. Thorfinn had that face, a neutral one, or maybe unbothered? He couldn't tell.
The prince stopped staring when Thorfinn raised an eyebrow at him, like saying "the hell you looking at, boy?" He muttered an apology and went back to look at his feet.

-Don't talk to your highness like that.- Ragnar raised his voice in defence of Canute but the son of Thors didn't even blink.

-You, old man, don't interrupt.- Ragnar clutched the end of his seat and frowned in surprise.- Who do you think you are? I'll tell you: no one.- Thorfinn turned his head in Askeladd's direction and scrunched his nose. Canute was now staring again at the boy, admiring his features with determination, finding kind of cute the way his eyes were so intensely focused in someone (even though they were full of rage). Thorfinn noticed that and rolled his eyes to the prince.- Stop making holes on my face.- he spit.

-I... I'm sorry.- Canute whispered. But he couldn't help it, he was so mysterious and different from everyone else he had ever met.

Thorfinn shrugged and laid down to have some rest, closed his eyes and fell asleep in a matter of seconds, which made Canute have a good chance to look at him closely. Ragnar noticed the sudden interest the prince had in the boy and warned the future king about it.

-He won't bring you anything but pain.- As simple as it was said, Canute felt like a weight had been put on his back. He nodded and stopped watching the Viking sleep.

Åse frowned and scratched her arm:

-Why did Ragnar say that?- as difficult as it might seem, Canute had always taught his kids how to love and appreciate everyone, he thought that love is love, no matter the sex or gender. That wasn't something he could express towards his people but he could tell his children to respect, no matter the circumstances, all forms of love.

Åse was still a teenager with no experience in life, her father was her inspiration and what he said was the only truth for her. So because she hadn't had any other education more than what Canute had given to her, her values were what he defended. She understood that not everyone shared the King's opinion on love, that's why she never expressed his or her belief to anyone. Åse thought of that as their little secret: something she couldn't say out loud but she could talk about with her father.

-Because, as you already know, loving or even liking someone of your same gender is not considered correct. Ragnar was convinced of that and realizing that the future King might have liked another boy was impossible. He prefered to ignore it, safeguarding my reputation in the act: if one of the two herits of the crown was believed to be homosexual, all our supporters would have turned their backs on us.- Canute sighed in sadness and looked at his girl.- That's why I've never talked about this with anybody. But I want you to be wise and open to everything, just like Frode.

-I am, Dad. I know I have to respect everyone's decisions if I want to be a good queen.- Canute tensed up at Åse words, he didn't know how to tell her that couldn't happen. Åse realized that and decided to change the subject.- Have you told Mom?

-No, and I will never.

-Why?

-She would be so mad, she could ruin me with that information in her power. The love she has for me it's not the same I have for her. She likes me romantically, I like her because she is the mother of my two precious kids.- Åse smiled at the compliment but felt sad for her mother, she could tell how much Thyra loved Canute and seeing her in pain was hurtful for her as well. She now understood why her father never loved Thyra and why he couldn't ever tell her the reason.

-I see...- she breathed out loudly and smiled again.- Tell me more about Thorfinn.