Twenty - Gina Marie

" Ohhhh Mal! Tell us the story with the monkies!" Merigold demanded from where she sat beside her brother, eyes shining, cheeks rosy with the look of a little girl. Indeed her very own niece and nephew sat on the floor at her feet, the same expression on each face as they listened to their Uncle recount his time on the high seas as a part of the Piracy Protection Force.
"I am sure our new sister won't want to hear another of my ridiculous stories," Malcom Sefton spoke in a low, pleasant voice, his expression warm as it turned on Gina Marie.
"Please," she insisted with a nod and another involuntary smile for her brother in law. Malcolm's gaze lingered on her as he returned the smile, a dimple appearing in his cheek as he did so.
"It began as a normal spot check..." he started in on teh story, his voice soft to built suspense. His listeners eagerly leaning forward to absorb each word.
Malcolm Sefton was everything opposite of his brother, Gina Marie observed as the younger man continued his vivid retelling of adventure.
Though built similarly in frame, he possessed the same golden blonde hair that Merigold had instead of the near black hair color that Mary Kathleen and Bane shared, a full beard the color of honey and eyes so green they made one pause. He smiled easily, often and his face was pleasing to look at. Though large in frame, his presence was not an intimidating one, but rather comforting, warming, invigorating. His tales and his visit seemed to bring his family to life now and Gina Marie wondered just how long they'd be awaiting this homecoming... and why Bane had never mentioned he had a brother.
Her thoughts were pulled back to her new husband as Malcolm's voice rose and fell in a soothing cadence, captivating his young audience. She'd hoped the things She'd heard in the dressmaker's shop had been falsehoods. She knew better than most how cruel a rumor mill could be... but he'd confirmed it now, just before Malcom's arrival earlier this morning... he'd admitted to killing his wife. And then had not been seen since.
Gina Marie shifted in her seat, her thoughts pushing at the sides of her skull, urging her to get up, leave the room and find Bane to demand more answers. He'd accused his charming brother of attempting to kill Gina Marie herself, and then listed off the odd happenings as if they were somehow connected... as if they made sense to everyone else in the room.
And despite spending the night wrapped around her like a bulwark, Bane had not looked her in the face since making his confession in the library. Now instead of being at her side, acting as the bulwark She'd been starting to depend upon, Bane was holed up with Harry in the library, barring visitors.
"Gina Marie? Are you alright?" this was from Mary Kathleen, who stood behind the couch Gina Marie occupied, a gentle hand resting on Gina Marie's shoulder. Gina Marie felt her throat tighten at the look of genuine concern on her temporary sister in laws face.
"I am fine," she answered, lying as she gave a small smile to reassure Bane's sister. But the other woman did not seem to be convinced.
"Should I find Bane for you?" Mary Kathleen asked gently, and Gina Marie was surprised to find herself nodding - this seemed to be the only thing she wanted at the moment.
"I can help her," came the suggestion from behind them. Both women turned to find Merigold and the children scattered, and Malcolm standing alone, the story finished now.
"I am not sure you should -" Mary Kathleen began, her face a mask of uncertainty.
"Really, it is no trouble," Malcolm smiled warmly first at his sister and then Gina Marie. Gina Marie gave a hint of a smile back, and wondered if Bane would even let her in the room if she arrived on the arm of his younger brother.
"I think he was last in the library," Gina Marie said it with a sigh, taking Malcolm's offered arm and setting her eyes on the door.
"Just make sure he leaves you in one piece," Mary Kathleen called to their backs, but Gina Marie did not hear any humor in the older sister's voice.
"My brother is a force to be reckoned with, as I am sure you know," Malcolm said as Gina Marie leaned her weight against him every other step on their journey towards Bane.
"What he did not mention was having a younger brother," Gina Marie commented a bit tightly, unwilling to criticize Bane in his brother's confidence.
"Ah yes..." Malcolm seemed to shrug subconsciously, but Gina Marie felt the motion as she depended on him for the support she needed to get up the flight of stairs they faced. The castle was cold and dark aside from the warmth of the lights that lined its halls and the rich scarlet carpet that ran in straight lines down each hall and stairs.
"So neither of you will tell me then?" Gina Marie quipped, feeling a bit impatient, and a little sore from her wounds. Physical and emotional alike.
"You are not what I expected," Malcolm said as an answer, smiling down at her as warm as the lights that filled the hallway just outside of Bane's personal library. Gina Marie felt anger flare at the jibe... but perhaps he had no idea just how close to the truth his words really were.
"You've met my cousin I take it?" Gina Marie asked with a heavy sigh inching towards the door despite Malcolm's sudden stop just feet from Bane.
"I have," Malcolm answered with a sheepish smile, "But it is not just that."
"Oh no?"
"You're... pluckier... than I thought you would be," he admitted, his smile growing wider now.
"Pluckier?" Gina Marie echoed, feeling irked at this brother as well now. What was it about men in this castle that they could never find the right words?
"it is just... after Cora... well I thought my brother would aim for someone more docile. Easier to control, easier to predict," Malcolm finished with a chuckle.
"You would compare me to a wild horse at a rodeo?" Gina Marie asked shortly, lifting one eyebrow to express a debutante's disdain.
"Precisely what I meant, of course, dear sister," Malcolm actually laughed now, squeezing her hand where it lay secured to his arm as a balance.
"Who is Cora?" she asked next, curiosity getting the better of her despite her irritation. Malcolm's face instantly transformed, the light in his eyes fading, and his face going drawn and bitter.
"He hasn't told you about her?" Malcolm asked, his voice different now as well. No longer warm and flirtatious, he seemed to have gone cold.
"I didn't think it appropriate to ask about his dead wife in the first three days of marriage," Gina Marie answered defensively, then frustrated with her brother in law, she broke away from him, hobbling to the library door on her own.
"Gina Marie, wait - I'd like the chance to explain," Malcolm called from behind her, catching up to her and taking hold of her elbow just in time for the heavy wooden door of the library to open, Bane filling the doorway.