30 - Gina Marie

He was kissing her.

John Sefton, Marquis of Brisbane,  was holding her like a drowning man holds to the shore, and he was kissing her.

Gina had never actually experienced the phenomenon before, though she knew Louisa had kissed her sweetheart a time or two. The housemaid had warned her that it would be strange, perhaps a little awkward, that she might feel like giggling or never doing it again. But Gina couldn't figure out why Louisa would describe something like this in such a way for her very life.

Bane was holding her, his lips pressed to hers, hard and warm and fervid, as if he intended to devour her on the spot, as if he would live to be one thousand centuries old and never get enough of her. It sent thrills through her chest, into her belly, melted her fear, made her want to weep and tell him all her woes, to stay with him for always, so long as he'd keep kissing her this way.

"Let the girl breathe, Bane!"

It was the first time Gina even realized they weren't alone. And it was an unfortunate interruption. She felt Bane's kiss soften as he pulled away, but then he returned, once - twice - three times before he leaned his forehead against hers once again, signaling, she could only assume, that he was well and truly done kissing her - for now at least.

"Damn it George," he said it in a whisper against her skin, and George curled into his neck in an involuntary motion, almost positive that she had begun to purr.

"I'd much rather you keep it a secret, the precise moment I become an uncle - yeah?" this was from Harry, and Gina didn't even bother trying to cipher his meaning as warm hands rubbed over her back, into her hair, always moving, always pulling her closer to Bane.

"Is something wrong?" she heard herself croak, for she had been dead asleep only a short moment ago. Bane's fingers came up to cup her face, and he pulled back just enough to look into her face. She felt instant concern at the haggardness there, he was pale, he looked worried. Without thinking, she reached up to touch his lips with her fingers as if she could erase whatever troubled him, "What's happened?" Gina repeated, a little more awake now.

"I thought -" he paused, eyes roaming her face, "I thought you'd gone - died - I'm not sure - the carriage's tracking device - where have you been?" he asked it quietly, then kissed her fingertips where they still rested against his mouth. That same thrill shot through her belly again, and Gina gasped at its strength.

"I - I went to see Caroline Stanley -" Gina explained, flustered by his attentions, "She invited me for tea -"

"She's been out for tea?!" Harry shouted from somewhere behind them.

"Tea," Bane repeated tightly, and Gina could almost feel the anger snapping to life under her fingers as her words sank in.

"Now Bane -" this was the voice of Malcolm, who was somewhere in the fog with Harry. But Gina forgot that thought as Bane began kissing her again.

"Name of the Saints woman," he muttered against her mouth after another minute or so. Gina barked a small laugh in reply, then realized her hands had somehow found their way into his thick black hair.

"I - I'm sorry," she muttered, shaking her head in confusion, "I didn't think - well, I didn't think you'd... notice I was gone... " she reasoned with a shrug.

"How could you just leave like that?" Bane asked, his tone turning deadly now. Gina stiffened as she heard the change, relinquishing her hold of him as he let her feet slide to the ground again, though she wasn't sure she should be trusted to stand on her own after such a thorough kissing.

"Caroline is just in Hamil -"

"And you went to see her brother as well then?!" Bane demanded darkly, his voice booming in echo off of the fog that was swallowing them fast.

"Bane," this an effort from Harry, who'd lost his jovial tone as well. But Bane's face had transformed into a mask of rage as Gina watched him.

"We're going," Bane fumed in a lethally quiet tone. Gina sighed, her affectionate husband had come and gone in the blink of an eye.

"Fine," she answered shortly, turning on her heel, she climbed back inside her carriage and the three horsemen rode out ahead of the vehicle.

It didn't take long to reach the castle once more, though the fog had grown even heavier now than before, it seemed so thick that you might be able to cut through it with a knife, or catch it in your open palm if you so wanted. Gina felt like it was drowning her, the way it seemed to creep into her clothes, her hair and her lungs as she disembarked from the carriage, her legs still stiff from her journey.

"You should eat something," this was an order from Bane, who'd appeared out of the fog at her elbow. GIna held back her smirk, for of course he was worrying over her like a disgruntled nanny even after she'd run away.

"Be careful, or someone will think you're not all that angry with me," Gina warned in a soft and teasing tone, she took Bane's arm and half pulled him inside with her, towards the kitchens where there would be hot food.

"You can't just - disappear -" Bane insisted, blustering, but not making any kind of move to seperate himself from her. Gina smiled and nodded as they entered the dining hall together. There was a huge fireplace, large enough for a man to stand inside of it on the opposite wall, and it was roaring with a friendly flame. Gina was immediately drawn towards it as Bane called out their food orders. She watched him carefully as he spoke with one of the household staff, glancing darkly in her direction every once in a while. Could Caroline be right? Was Bane truly a killer? It didn't seem possible. She shook the thought from her mind as cruel neighborhood gossip as he approached her and she noticed for the first time that he had a letter in hand.

"What is it?" Gina asked, her brow crinkling together as she observed the stricken look on her husband's face. Bane looked up from the letter in that moment, and Gina felt her stomach drop. Something was very wrong, "Bane..." she repeated slowly, swallowing hard... but he just shook his head sorrowfully.

"George... I've just recieved word... your brother is dead."