You've got to be kidding

A reader by the name of Yukirei_135 submitted this wonderful fan art to me. Thank you so much Yukirei_135!

*

Cautious and on high alert, Sunny arrived back at his apartment.

Basil had gone to write his midterm on campus, and Sunny was alone. He expected detective Jawsum or his mother to show up at any moment, but he couldn't find any trace of them around his block or inside his building.

A wave of relief hit him when he opened the door and saw his room empty and untouched.

I still can't let down my guard. They could show up at any time.

Even though it was too late to be of any use, the first thing Sunny went to do was to log in to his email account and change its password. On their way home he had thought of a hard password to guess which was easy for himself to remember. He'd taken four random, unrelated objects and strung them together into a password, adding a number at the end just for extra security.

But when Sunny logged in to his account, he found an extremely startling email from his mom.

The subject was: DON'T LET ANYONE READ THIS EMAIL EXCEPT YOURSELF SUNNY.

She finally sent a reply to my emails but this is what she puts on the subject line?

Sunny clicked on the email and began reading it.

Sunny, don't press charges against me. The detective does NOT know your secret. I'm sorry if you misunderstood. Don't show this email to anyone else!

He had no idea what to feel or make of this.

Just moments later he felt enormous anger rising inside himself. Everything his mom did enraged him.

What the...that detective doesn't actually know what happened between me and Mari?

'I'm sorry if you misunderstood'. No, mom, you're the one who keeps misunderstanding the relationship I have with Basil!

And just what was I supposed to think if you hired a detective to track me down and the detective tells me 'I know what you did to your sister'?

I can't trust you. You definitely told him something about my sister, and he spilled it in a way that made me believe he knew the truth—

This is all your fault, mom!

But...if he doesn't know...then what exactly is he threatening me with?

You keep making life hard for me, causing problems for me and Basil when things are going perfectly fine between us.

Just shut the hell up and stop bothering us already!

Sunny wanted to slam the laptop screen down in anger.

He took deep, shuddering breaths to try and calm himself down. Every nerve in his body wanted to direct his fingers to send a furious reply to his mom.

He and Basil had spent so much time coming up with a plan to fight her, believing that she'd spilled their secrets to someone outside the family, reading criminology books and even taking a course in law. After such a massive investment in finding counter charges all she can say is please don't press charges against me?

Not to mention the emotional damage inflicted on himself and Basil from believing that the detective really knew what they did to Mari.

Calm down, Sunny...

You don't deserve this...but don't destroy the laptop, please. It's really Basil's laptop, not yours, and he spent a ton of money on it.

Just remember that you are the one in control here. She's given up because she knows she's done for if you press charges against her.