Chapter 2

After finishing up in the kitchen with all of Joanne's jobs from them completed, Evie and her mum slipped into the dining hall from a side entrance just a few minutes before six o'clock - being very wary of the Alpha's strict timeline. They hastily found their designated seats in the far-left corner of the hall at the end of one of the four long tables that stretched the length of the building.

Low-ranked pack members like Evie and her mum sat toward the back of the room - the further back the lower the rank - whilst warriors and essential pack members sat closer to the front. It was considered an honour to sit close to the leaders and their family, as such the very strongest pack members sat at the heads of the long tables, where occasionally they would enjoy conversation with the leaders and contribute their opinion to the running of the pack. The leaders sat at a long table horizontal to the rest of the tables so the Alpha could look out over the pack from an elevated position. However, Evie doubted he would be able to spot her clearly considering how far back in the hall she sat.

Other individuals that were situated at the head table include the Luna and the Alpha's children. They were joined by the Beta and his family as well as the three strongest pack warriors who run the patrol schedules and the training schedules. Evie hardly ever trained - it was not deemed necessary that she know how to fight considering her low status. If an attack did occur, it was expected that she find shelter in the dining hall along with the other lower ranked pack members, the elderly, and the children. This arrangement was perfectly fine with her - she could not imagine hurting anyone.

A hush fell over the crowd like a thick blanket as the Alpha and his Luna entered the hall from a door at the side of the large table. Hand in hand, they ascended to their seats so that everyone could see them so that everyone could see them from their slightly elevated position. They were followed by the Beta and his mate along with the three head warriors and their mates - one cradling a newborn infant.

'My pack. My family. I'm sure that you are all curious as to why I have called you here on such short notice.' The Alpha's strong voice rang out across the hall capturing the attention of absolutely everyone.

'It is a joyous occasion. My son, the future Alpha of our pack has returned with our future Beta and our future Luna.' A thunderous applause broke out with hoots echoing around the high roofed building at the Alpha's words. Everyone was absolutely ecstatic as the announcement.

'Yes, I too am overjoyed with this news. I know you will all welcome them home with arms wide.' The Alpha opened his arms up and gestured to the side door he had entered through just minutes prior to three figures entering the room. A roar of excitement rose as they stepped forward and they become more visible to the crowd. The future Alpha stepped forward and raised his hands to calm the buzzing crowd as the three figures moved to stand next to the current Alpha.

'I'm so glad to have returned home after a year of searching for my soulmate. I would like to introduce to my mate Ariel. I hope you come to love her as much as I do, I know that she is a perfect fit for our family and will become a great leader. So please welcome her to our home.' He wrapped his arms around the tall and muscular female that stood to the side of him causing another wave of applause to echo around the hall.

'I cannot wait to become your Luna at Blake's and serve the pack he loves so very much. I will do my very best to be the Luna that you deserve. Please do not hesitate to introduce yourself if you see me around and about, I am very excited to get to know you all.' Ariel state as she smiled out across the crowd in front of her. It was clear that she was going to be very beloved by the pack.

At the back of the hall Evie did not fully concentrate on the words spoken by her future Alpha and Luna. She was focused on the third member of the group - the future Beta, Adrian. He stood silently next to his companions with a straight face seemingly unaffected by the warm welcome home. Evie was not surprised by this lack of emotion considering that was how the current Beta presented himself - stiff, emotionless, and definitely intimidating. However, unlike the current Beta, Evie could not look away from his son. She was confused as to way she felt this pull to the tall blonde considering she had found it difficult to interact with the current Beta several times in the past simply due to his high rank and intimidating persona. She shook her head and tried to focus on what the Alpha was saying.

'Soon I will hand over the reins to my son and his mate. I am sure all of you are just as excited for this as I am. For now, though, enjoy the food and be sure to thank the kitchen staff who have put together a delicious meal with very short notice.' Finishing his speech, the Alpha sat down, and kitchen staff entered the hall with large plates of roasted vegetables, piles of meat, and many other mouth-watering foods. Evie sat patiently waiting with her mum and chattered with her tables mates as they waited for the food to be brought to the back of the hall - no doubt it would be a wait considering they served food from the front of the hall to the back. Evie hoped it was not cooled by the time it got to them.

As she waited, her gaze fell to the front of the room where the leaders all seemed to be engaged in a thrilling conversation with future Luna Ariel. It looked as though the leaders were all keen to converse with the new pack member. Evie's eyes focused on Adrian again as a frown settled on her face. The blonde's head rose to meet her gaze. A look of shock briefly shot across his features before it was replaced by what Evie could only describe as bordering on anger. She quickly broke eye contact and turned to re-engage with the conversation going on around her. However, out of the corner of her eye she saw Adrian exit the dining hall.

Weird, she thought. She shrugged before turning to contribute her opinion on what was the best cake flavour to debate her mum was having with another middle-aged woman named Cindy.