Chapter 17

Eve stood in front of the full-length mirror that she had just hung up the other day on the back of the door. It had been around four months since she started training with Curtis and she was definitely able to notice the changes in her body.

Her shoulders were wider and there was a slight definition to her arms. Her thighs had become wider, and she would need to get some new pants soon - her current ones were getting a bit too tight for her liking. The scars on her face had finally turned white and were no longer as ridged as they had been.

She liked that changes she saw in the mirror - not just the physical but the small smile that sat on her face. She was proud of what she had achieved - proud of her commitment to herself.

The pain from her mate bond had lessened greatly since the time she had left Emerald Eye. No doubt, she still woke up some nights with a burning pain in her chest - but now it was a smoulder than an all engulfing fire.

After her feelings had started to bloom a few months ago, she had made the decision to try to stop her feelings for Curtis from developing. This included, mostly isolating herself throughout the day when she was not training. It had been difficult, but she filled her time with painting, drawing, reading, and exploring around the woods.

Curtis had noticed her withdrawal; however, he did not realise why it was happening. He simply assumed that the reality of losing her family, pack and mate was weighing heavy on Eve's mind. He did not want to pressure her into discussing it - she had suffered a lot and he assumed that she would need time to herself to heal. So, he had kept his distance, wondering if he had just pushed her too far the day, they had gone for a run to the lake together.

Eve was grateful that Curtis let her be. Although, the day prior he had invited her to go to pick up supplies with. She had been hesitant at first, but the allure of using the payphone was too great for her to ignore. So, she had journeyed down the mountain and sat in the car next to Curtis as they headed into the human town. The silent and awkward ride there and back had been worth it though - being able to hear her mum's voice. She remembered every word of their phone call.

****

'Hello.' Marie answered to phone.

'Mum, how are you?' Eve said into the phone.

'Oh pumpkin. I'm so glad to hear from you. I'm fine, I'm doing good. How are you? Is everything okay?' Marie said trying to not let her daughter hear the lie in her voice.

'I'm doing okay mum. I really miss you and Joanne.' Eve said with a sad smile.

'I miss you too baby.' Marie said.

'I was thinking that maybe I would be able to come and see you soon. Or maybe you could go to Alpha Ian's pack, and I could meet you there. I really, really want to see and give you a hug.' Eve said desperate to have her mum agree.

'Oh baby, I really wish I could hold you in my arms... but it's not safe and I have been forbidden from leaving the pack grounds. I don't want you to come here yet. At least not until Alpha Darren steps down and Blake takes up his place. I thought He would have taken over by now, but the ceremony has been scheduled for six weeks from now. Maybe we can talk about it then.' Marie said trying to let her daughter down gently.

'It's okay. I understand. I know that we will be able to see each other soon enough. But it doesn't mean that I'm not impatient.' Eve said trying to sound cheerful but a tear rolled down her cheek.

****

After that, they had talked about trivial things - things that had no importance and did not reveal the pain they were both feeling at their separation. They discussed how Joanne was doing and her latest creation in the kitchen. They discussed how Marie's painting was progressing - Eve adding in that she too had been making art again.

Eve's reminiscing was cut short by a short rap on her door. Moving over, she swung open the door. On the other side was Curtis. Eve was shocked by the sudden closeness of him and took a step backwards.

'Um hey.' Curtis said scratching the back of his head.

'Hey. Did you need something?' Eve replied.

'Yeah, I needed to talk to you about something...' Curtis trailed off, seemingly lost in thought.

'Okay. What?' Eve said trying to coax him into keep talking.

'I got a letter yesterday when we went into town. From my father actually. He wants to meet up with me soon.' Curtis said with a shrug.

'Oh okay. So, I'll stay here until you get back then?' Eve questioned him.

'Ah no, actually, you should come with me - it will be safer if you come with me.' Curtis said.

'Alright I suppose. When are we leaving then?' Eve reluctantly agreed.

'We will leave in two days. We will have to drive two days north and then we will have to go the rest of the way on foot - maybe another day or two depending on how fast we move and the weather.' Curtis said with a shrug.

'Um alright then. I suppose I wouldn't mind a change in scenery.' Eve conceded.

With a nod Curtis turned to leave Eve to her solitude.