Chapter 10

Evie figured if she maintained a good pace, provided that Alpha Ian's time estimate was accurate, she would reach this mysterious warrior before it got dark in the evening. At least she hoped so, not wanting to spend a night in the woods. Plus, she didn't think she would last too long running on the little amount of sleep she had on the train.

Before the sun had even reached its peak in the clear sky, Evie arrived at the river that Alpha Ian had marked out on her map. At least she knew that she was headed in the right direction now. What awaited at the end of her journey - now that was the real mystery.

How did she know she could trust this warrior that Ian had described? How did she know that he would even be able to give her shelter? Would he be willing to give her shelter?

Despite these questions, Evie knew that currently her only option was to follow the directions she had been given and hope everything would work out. Hence, hour after hour she just kept walking. Soon, her feet were tender and covered in angry blisters. Hence, she decided that she deserved a break.

Approaching the edge of the slow flowing river, she shrugged her backpack off and placed it next to her duffle bag a few meters away from the riverbank. Wincing in pain, she pulled her shoes off and lined them up neatly. Hesitating when she saw blood had soaked through her socks, she gently but quickly removed the stained pair of socks. She shoved them into her shoes before hobbling down to the water's edge.

She roughly rolled up the ends of her jeans before walking into the water far enough that her ankles were also immersed in the icy water. A satisfied sigh escaped her lips at the instant relief that she felt. It was almost as though the swelling in her feet instantly decreased. For a stronger wolf they would have been able to travel much further without this becoming a problem for them. And eventually when their feet reached the same state as Evie, a short twenty-minute break would allow them to fully heal. But Evie guessed she would need an hour or two - which she didn't really want to waste and then be stuck in the wilderness overnight and by herself. So after only five minutes, she stepped out of the river and walked over to her bags.

She had a few sips of water whilst waiting for her feet to dry. This gave her the opportunity to dig around her bag and pull put her map. Approximating from some of the larger landmarks that were marked out, she had a few hours to go. Eventually she pulled her socks and shoes back on. Right in that moment she would have done a lot of things for a soft, fluffy, new pair of socks.

As she kept walking, small stabbing pains radiating from her chest plagued Evie. The mate bond. She wondered if Adrian was causing this pain by his actions during the moments when it flared up. Or was it just a consequence of being rejected? Perhaps it was a combination of the two.

Over the next few hours, the sun peaked before making its way down the behind Evie. Just as the last lingering bits of light were about to disappear, Evie spotted the mountain that Alpha Ian had described to her. She let out a cry of relief and increased her speed out of excitement.

Hurrying alone, Evie's sharp awareness of her surroundings dulled as her mind was occupied with excitement from being so close to her destination. She hoped at least this warrior would be able to spare her a warm meal and a roof to sleep under for one night. She tried not to think too much further ahead like had when planning to join the Three Mountain pack. Evie doubted she could handle that again. Having her hopes built up before they get demolished.

Out of nowhere, Evie felt an impact from her left side causing her to be thrown off her feet. Above her stood a red eyed and ravenous rouge. Completely disconnected from its human side. It was now a wild and dangerous animal. It had no soul to recognise the fear in the tiny brunette's eyes.

Completely frozen, Evie stopped breathing to terrified to think of how she could escape. She could feel its hot and putrid breath against her cheek as she turned her head to the side with her eyes clenched tightly shut. Oh god this was it.

The rouges paw raised up and slashed down at her face cutting deep down across her face. She felt its claws scrap against the bones underlying her cheek and slice straight through her top and bottom lipped.

A scream ripped out of her mouth.

Hot blood pooled on her tongue.

She chocked on the sensation. Coughing and spluttering.

Evie pulled hers knees up to her chest and thrust them forward with as much force she could. Whilst this was not a lot - considering her starvation, sleep deprivation, and now blood loss - it was enough the cause the rouge wolf to be shoved off of her.

Rolling onto her stomach, Evie pushed herself up right into a low crouching position. Blood drenched her shirt and dripped down on to the rough ground.

She had gone through far too much over the last few days to get so close and then die at the hands of a rouge. No. She would not have. This would not be the end of her.

The rouge seemed to sense her newfound determination to live.

Evie let her claws and canines extend. And the rouge charged. She ducked left at last second. From the side, she pushed off the ground hard to tackle it from the side and swing herself around to put the outwitted rouge into a headlock.

She needed to end this quickly. There was no way she would be able to hold the thrashing animal long enough and firm enough for it to pass out.

Mumbling a quick apology, she dragged her clawed hand across the animals exposed throat. It was dead. Evie had taken the life of another. But it was kill or be killed.

The deed was done, but Evie did not have time to dwell her own life still in danger judging from the amount of blood still pouring out of the flaps of flesh hanging from her face. Quickly, she pulled off her jacket and pressed against the wound hoping to give a body enough pressure that clotting could begin.

Too weak, she ruled out carrying her belongings with her and left them next to the dead rouge. Hurrying off she knew her only chance at survival was making to the home of the warrior she knew nothing about.

Limbs burning with exertion she pushed herself up the side of the mountain in front of her. She prayed to the moon goddess that this was the north side.

After a few moments, she paused head spinning and vision speckled with black dots, she tried to sniff out anything to help guide her. There! Something just under the stench of her own blood. Running forward another 200 hundred meters, with the jacket still pressed against her face, she spotted it. Thank you, goddess.

Absolutely burnt out and knocking on deaths door, she fell up the steps of the cabin. She smashed her hand against the door three times as hard as she could and promptly passed out.

She welcomed the respite of pain.