Cherri Farmer

Cherri Farmer brushes her black hair out of her eyes and glances out the window of her home office. One story below, her youngest daughter, Marisa, is pulling the dog out the back door. Marisa has always been stubborn. Although it is below freezing outside, she is going to take the dog on a walk.

Cherri glides away from the window and sits at her desk. The work is done for the day, and she can go downstairs to prepare for the dinner party she is hosting tonight. But for a moment, she looks at the photos on her desk and contemplates.

There's her three beautiful daughters, dressed in the name-brand dresses that are so popular now. Cherri can't even imagine Marisa leaving too. But along with Serena and Bella, she is headed to an Ivy League college next year.

There's her husband, Mike. Cherri stares for a long time at the brown haired, blue eyed man in that photograph. It is old enough to be unrealistic now. She barely recognizes the man from her past.

Lastly, the photo of houses. Her father took this picture a long time ago. It is all she has to remember him, and her past by.

Cherri fleed with her family from Afghanistan many, many years ago. It is almost a nightmare to Cherri now, who cannot recall the poverty she had lived in. One thing she still dreams of is the pit in her stomach from lack of food.

Marisa, Serena, and Bella have never had to feel that pain. While Cherri is thankful for this fact, she is concerned about their views. Many times she has heard them say something, inconsiderate of the fact that some people do not live in five bedroom houses or even two bedroom houses. Cherri knows that the "real world" is nonsense to them and has always tried to keep them on the right path.

She can only pray she has done her best.