Heather Ash

Heather Ash looks around her room one last time. It is bare except for the old desk in the corner and bed on the other side of the room. Heather traces the many boy's names etched into the desk. She cannot recall what they looked like.

Finally, finally, she can leave Blue Ridge Park. She has spent her whole life here. She knows the people like the back of her hand. And she despises it.

Since she was two, she has read stories of other worlds, other people. She wants to meet new people and go to new places. Her parents don't approve. Leisha and Jack Ash were born in high-end families and grew up to be high-end people. Heather doesn't want to be a high-end legacy.

Gripping her black suitcase closely to her side, Heather clambers down the stairs one more time. There stands her mother at the base of the staircase, her hands clapsed tightly together, her eyes crinkled with worry.

Already, Heather feels excitement blooming. She is so happy that she decided to graduate high school a semester early. Now, technically an adult, she can do whatever she wants. Perhaps she'll further her education. Perhaps not. Her parents no longer have authority over her.

"Mother, don't wrinkle your eyes like that. You'll get wrinkles. Isn't that what you're always complaining about?" Heather snarks as she clips past. She regrets the comment already. She sees the sparkle in your mother's eyes immediately.

"I love you, dear, just be safe," her mother whispers.

Heather is a whirlwind, out the door in a moment with no reply.