Discussion of a previous life

TRIGGER WARNING: mentions of suicide and self-harm

Masons POV

Time resumed and we continued walking to the clearing. What Bill had told me was still fresh on my mind. Taking their amulet? Almost impossible. Killing them? Well, that was always out of the question but...no I couldn't even think of that. Especially now. But if they got their memories back? Their amulet was obviously more powerful than mine, we both knew it, but they didn't quite know how to use it yet. Maybe I could use that to my advantage. I was dead in a match of raw power, but in a match of strategy...yes this could work. That wasn't what was really bothering me right now though, I knew that the spell was too powerful to just wear off. Their memories would have to be awakened, put back together like a puzzle. What was bothering me though, was Bill having 'feelings' for my  y/n. This was terrible, he might try to steal them away from me. He might just succeed.

 y/n ran ahead of me, entering the clearing first. They stood right in the middle of it, looking up towards the sky and taking a deep breath. "This is amazing." They breathed out, a big dopey grin plastered on their face. "Yeah, it is," I replied, looking at their face lit up with joy. I joined them in the middle and we sat down, basking in the sunlight. y/n smiled at me. "Mason." I met their eyes, almost blinded by their light. "You're honestly, the best partner I've ever had. You're sweet and kind and and and...just all-around amazing." I smiled, feeling a pang of guilt in my heart. "You're the...best, most amazing, most gorgeous partner I have ever had. I can't imagine a life without you. I would do anything for you." They smiled wider. They were honestly adorable.

"What about you're other partners?"

"...What about them?" They asked in an accusatory voice. I smiled nervously. 

"Any of them come close to my awesomeness?" Their smile faded slightly, and they chuckled sadly. 

"Yeah, there was one. I think I'm finally ready to tell you. I think I'm ready to tell you about Johnny."

Y/N POV

This is crazy. I can't believe I'm actually telling him. I sighed and started. "So, freshman year I...I dated this guy, Johnny Cyprus. He...I thought he was my soulmate," I chuckled softly, reminiscing on my youth. "Guess I was wrong. We talked every day, everything was great. One day he asked me out and I was over the moon. I was so happy I actually didn't sleep that night. I was too excited to see him again." Mason put a comforting hand on my shoulder. 

"You know, you don't have to tell me." He said with sympathy. I shook my head.

"No, you deserve to know. Then one day...he sends me this text. It said simply. 'I love you, goodbye,'" I chuckled. "One hell of a note, am I right?" Mason's eyes widened, and he wiped a tear from my face I hadn't even realized had fallen. "They found him hanging up in his closet, there was a picture of me in his pocket. I took it out on myself, blaming everyone except him. Including me. I wasn't strong enough to even see what he was going through, I thought it was my fault. That's also why I was so desperate to get rid of the scars. They were just...too much." He rubbed my back gently, silently reminding me he was here. 

He pulled me into a hug. "I'm terrified I'm going to lose you too. You mean too much to me, I...I don't think I could take another loss." He held me tighter, squeezing me slightly. "I am never going to leave you, I swear it." I hugged back, crying harder. 

"Thank you. Thank you so much, Mason." I'm going to kill that demon. The foreign thought bounced around my head, the voice wasn't mine. I pulled away. "What?" 

Mason blinked in confusion. "What...what?" 

"What demon? Who are we killing?" I looked down to see my amulet hanging around my neck. "My amulet?" I muttered to myself, wondering just where the stone had come from. Mason smiled. "Thought I'd surprise you. I put it on you just now, while we were hugging." I grabbed it fondly, lightly smiling as well. "Thank you, Mason." Tears stained my smiling cheeks, the aspect of it was kind of funny. Mason nodded. "Of course, love." I stared at the stone with admiration, turning it over once or twice and watching the sparkle. "The demon," Mason started. "If you're still curious, is Bill, but to be fair killing him is always pretty high up on my list." I looked up at him, head slightly tilted. "But...he helped me. He got rid of my scars, he gave me this." I held up my amulet. "Why would you want to kill him?" Mason sighed.

"Look, he might have been...nice to you but that doesn't make him good. He hurts people, he's a monster." The words rang in my head. 'Monster'

"That's what Pacifica and Gideon said about you at first." his face darkened at the mention of the cousins. "Who cares what they think, Pacificas a bitch and Gideons nothing but a coward." I scoffed. "Just because someone doesn't like you, doesn't mean they're a bitch. She actually seems pretty nice. And Gideon just seems a bit shy." He scoffed. 

"Do you call everyone who calls your boyfriend a monster 'nice'?" I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. "Stop, just...stop. Why are you so pissy about them?" 

"Because they don't know anything! They wanna take you away from me!" he yelled.

"Do not yell at me," I said, my eyes flaring slightly. "Take me away from you? You make it seem like I'm some toy that can be stolen off the playground. What do you think she's gonna do? Kidnap me?" he rolled his eyes. 

"No, of course not. But you don't know what she wants. She could be trying to hurt you." I scoffed again. "Actually, I can find out what she wants." I pulled out the note. "'Meet me at the mystery shack at 9 pm, we need to talk' See, she just wants to talk to me." Mason's face darkened. "When did she give you that? Why didn't you tell me?" I backed up a bit. 

"When we were in the diner. I didn't think it was important enough to bring up." 

"Not important? Are you kidding me? A random girl gave you a note and you didn't think it was important?" I shifted into a defensive position. "Don't come any closer. You need to cool down before you say or do something you'll regret. I'm leaving until you can get your little," I waved my hand around him vaguely. "tantrum, under control." I turned to leave.

"Y/N!" I turned back, my eyes fully glowing.

"Don't follow me." I walked out of the clearing and made my way home. It was supposed to be a good day.