The World Caves In

"What happened?" Elizabeth says in a frenzy, seeing Lenny, Arthur, and Dutch arrive in the wagon.

The men had cuts all over their clothes, and Dutch is cradling his aching head. They get off the wagon, and Elizabeth is at her father's side immediately, helping him down. There's anger and confusion written all over their faces.

"Angelo Bronte's tip about the trolley," Dutch starts as Susan hands him a cup of water, offering another cup to Lenny. "It was a false lead—a trap. The law were already waitin' for us."

"What?" Hosea frowns. "Why would he do such a thing?"

"You think the Pinkertons were tipped off by 'em?" Arthur asks, taking the cup of water Tilly hands him. "We don't know, maybe. It is quite possible."

Elizabeth frowns, being reminded that her lover had just mentioned it the other day. Was this the reason why he kept asking if Dutch was going through with it? Was this why he kept telling Elizabeth to be careful—why he insisted on an out-of-town ride today of all days?

She will have to ask her lover about that. For now, she has a family worry about.

The girls begin their work, helping Susan with the men's injuries and taking out the Whitleys' old medical books. Tilly gives Dutch instruction and caution about what could be a mild concussion—not just a small old bump in the head. "Says here you might have some mood swings and temper tantrums. You best have some rest for a few days," she says, scanning through the pages. "You ain't doin' no work for a while then you can get back to it li'l by li'l. Otherwise, you ain't gonna be sane for long, Dutch."

"Nonsense, Miss Jackson. I got people needs takin' care of and business to attend to," Dutch stands, wanting to get back to work immediately. Elizabeth rushes to him and pushes her father to the bed carefully. "Tilly already said, pops. You need to rest," Elizabeth frowns at him. Before Dutch can argue, his daughter's stern look stops him. He had seen her fuss over him many times before—time and again, her face held the same worry and fear. "You can get back to it, full-force, when you ain't feelin' anythin' in your head no more."

Dutch resigns to his bed, listening to the girls' treatment.

Once Dutch, Arthur, and Lenny are settled in and looked at, Elizabeth storms out of Shady Bell. Only a fool would dare to stop her at this point. Unfortunately, the gang is full of them.

"Woah, where you goin'?" Micah asks her, curious to see what has gotten her all riled up. He holds her in place, only for his hands to be smacked away. "I got some personal business to attend to, Micah, outta the way. Hosea's in charge while Dutch is bein' looked at."

"If you're goin' where I think you're goin', best leave it, kid," he warns her, grabbing her arm again as she tries to break free of his hold. "We got enough fire on our backs already and with the boss and his main muscle down, how the hell will we get out of this alive if you go get yourself in trouble, too?"

Elizabeth stops all movement, seemingly doubtful of what she plans to do next. She suddenly stands tall and proud, then proceeds to walk towards her horses anyway. "I ain't gonna cause trouble. Just need a word with someone," she says, riding away as Micah sighs and heads back to the abandoned mansion.

Elizabeth arrives at the Bronte manor, stomping her way up to the gate. She looks a guard right in the eye and motions him forward. Hesitantly, the guard obeys.