02 - Baseball

April, 1992 - Japan

Haruka couldn't help but feel uneasy. She couldn't move past the terrifying notion that Ino and Sakura would end up arguing over Sasuke. There was a chance that they would have a huge fight, never speak to each other again, and leave Haruka trying to play the mediator and maintain crumbling friendships with both of them.

So, on the next morning at their lockers, she blurted, "You guys...you guys are going to be friends even if he chooses one of you and not the other, or neither of you, right?"

Ino and Sakura blinked. Her wording was rather harsh, but they both knew just what Haruka was talking about. They shared a look, and Haruka's fear spiked.

Sakura said, "Haruka, are you crazy?"

"Yes," Haruka sighed. "You of all people should know that. Now tell me please. Maybe this is selfish of me, but I wouldn't be able to stand it if you guys fought and we couldn't be friends anymore, just the three of us."

"Haruka, that's crazy talk! Are you hearing yourself, girl? We had our chance to have a fight over him when we were 9," Ino said reassuringly. "Now, we're going to be mature about it. I swear we won't let a guy come between us. Right, Sakura?"

"Duh!" Sakura smiled. "Sasuke's going to choose who he chooses, and that's his decision. Whoever isn't chosen will have to be strong enough to pick up the pieces and prioritize friendship, okay?"

"Okay," Haruka sighed, feeling only slightly better. At least they had the right idea. "But you know, I bet that's a lot easier said than done. I don't want things to change between us."

Sakura slung her arms around Haruka and Ino, and they walked down the halls. "I'm telling you, they won't. We haven't seen Sasuke in years, and if it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be, and that's that. So don't stress out for nothing."

"Yep," Ino chirped. "When Sasuke chooses me, Sakura's going to be strong and get over it, and we'll all live happily ever after!"

"Ugh, Ino! You'll see, I know him better than you do!"

-

"Come on, man!" Naruto said. It was PE, and the class was running laps. "What else are you going to do? The chess club?"

"I don't want to join any clubs in the first place, did I not make that clear?" Sasuke said. "It's not like they're mandatory. Why would I stay after school when I could go home instead?"

"Because it's the only time when we can actually talk, besides lunch, that isn't during class. It's fun!"

Sasuke sighed. "It's only fun if you're good at it, and I haven't played baseball since we were kids. I don't have time to relearn everything."

"That's what practice is for! Man, you're just as dumb as you were when were 10. I guarantee you'll have fun, plus you go for ice cream when you win games. And, you know your mom's gonna nag you about not joining anything. Ha."

"You don't know that." said Sasuke.

"Yeah, I do." Naruto said. "My mom is the same way. I'm telling you, you've got it coming if you don't join anything. Just come to practice today, please? We need some more guys."

"...Fine."

-

During art class, it was difficult for Haruka to focus on her still life drawing. Ino and Sasuke sat just one row in front of her and Sakura, and Ino's attempts at speaking to a wall were painful to witness. They were noble efforts of course, but extremely one-sided. Sasuke would merely answer one of Ino's questions, and then continue to work in silence. Sakura, though, seemed awfully satisfied at Sasuke's utter disinterest.