31 - Hatsuhinode

January, 1993 - Japan

"It's too early for this," Sakura muttered, her hands in her pockets. She followed behind Ino and Haruka as they walked to the spot they always watched the first sunrise of the year. The New Year's Eve party she had been at had gotten her home at one in the morning, and here she was out again not even four and a half hours later.

"We've been doing this since we were thirteen," Haruka said. It was a Japanese tradition to watch the first sunrise of the year, something that the three had started doing together back in junior high. "We can't stop now."

"Easy for you to say," Ino cut in. "Let me guess, you've been up already for what, two hours? Three?"

"Just two."

Sakura shook her head. "What breed of human are you? It must be nice to be able to run on three hours of sleep like it's no problem."

"Hey, most of the time I get at least five, which isn't even that bad." She replied. Ino sighed.

There was still no sight of the sun, and the streetlamps were all they had to go by. Their favorite spot was just outside of Konoha, overlooking the whole town, on a bench just big enough for three. It was around five in the morning, and they were almost there.

The walk continued in a pleasant silence while Sakura and Ino tried to wake up. When they reached the bench, Haruka sat in the middle so both of her friends could rest their heads on her shoulders. In the morning darkness, she tried not to cringe upon recalling a dream she had had recently. She didn't remember anything except the fact that she had been resting on Sasuke's shoulder. Sasuke, of all people. Strange dreams she had.

Perhaps Haruka has made them both get up too early. The sun didn't show for another half hour, but at least Ino and Sakura got a chance to get their sleep in.

Suddenly, Haruka nudged the both of them. "Hey, it's starting,"

"Is it actually?" Ino muttered, her eyes still closed as if she didn't believe Haruka. Sakura rubbed her eyes and sat up straight.

"Just get up, Ino," Sakura said tiredly.

The sky was finally starting to change color—splashes of pink and orange were beginning to peek in behind the clouds.

"So what are you guys wishing for?" asked Haruka, not taking her eyes off the sky.

"A nap," Ino mumbled.

"Let's see," Sakura said aloud, starting to recover from her morning drowsiness.

"Don't do it," Haruka warned.

"For Sasuke to come knocking on my bedroom window while everyone else is asleep, but of course not me, I was up worrying about him, you know?"

"Uh-huh," said Ino, as if she were on the phone at a boring office job. "And why does he show up at your window again?"

"You forgot?" asked Haruka. "It's because-"

"Hey, I wanna tell it! It's my fantasy!" Sakura interrupted, and Haruka gave her a look. "Anyways, he shows up at my window during the night. He's injured, scrapes all over his arms and left cheek, but his handsome face is very alert. He tells me I'm in danger and I have to come with him immediately. We escape on his horse and live happily ever after. That's it. That is my wish."

"The same one every year," Ino shook her head solemnly. "I wish you'd come up with a reason why you're in danger and have to run away. That'd give it a lot more drama."

Sakura shrugged. "Maybe because all the town women are getting ready to attack me for being both the most beautiful and the smartest?"

"Nice and modest," Ino nodded.

"Could you imagine him wearing one of those medieval knight costumes?" Haruka asked. "With the stockings and everything?"

"'Course I can, that's part of the fantasy," Sakura said like it was obvious, making all three of them crack up. The top of the sun was beginning to show above Konoha.

"But in all seriousness, my wish really is the same." Sakura said. "For something to hit him on the head, like really hard, so he develops feelings for me."

"Don't act like it's never going to happen, Sakura," Haruka said. "Because then it won't. This could be the year he realizes he likes you, you know."

Sakura hummed in response.

"I'm serious," Haruka insisted with earnest eyes and a smile. "Why not, right? You still haven't even told him how you feel."

"That's true," Ino cut in. "And I personally think he likes you. When I very stupidly confessed to him at the beginning of the school year, he told me he liked someone else. It has to be you."

Haruka nodded, "Exactly. There's no one else it could be."

"Yes there is," Sakura said automatically.

"Who?" asked Haruka.

Sakura faltered for a moment and looked at the ground. "Anyone."